INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Break apart MP3/CUE files?  (Read 2782 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
Break apart MP3/CUE files?
« on: February 25, 2005, 03:17:35 pm »

Is there any way to break apart MP3/CUE files into their individual files?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Break apart MP3/CUE files?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:31:35 pm »

Take a look at mp3DirectCut

http://www.mpesch3.de/

Since you have the cue files it will be fast and easy.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:32:27 pm »

Why is it that MC thinks that MP3/CUE files are always NOT AVAILABLE ... They always have the little red X for the icon.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 03:33:41 pm »

Take a look at mp3DirectCut

http://www.mpesch3.de/

Since you have the cue files it will be fast and easy.
So, no way to do it internal to MC ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 03:50:39 pm »

Why is it that MC thinks that MP3/CUE files are always NOT AVAILABLE ... They always have the little red X for the icon.

So you have MC 11 since it can see the CUE tracks. After ripping the CUE file usually points to the original wave file. If the the wave file is compressed to MP3 format the CUE file must be edited a bit.

Open the CUE file with Windows Notepad. If you can find this: .wav" WAVE change it to: .mp3" MP3. Save and reimport to MC11.

EDIT

Of course the source MP3 file must be present in the same folder. It is possible that a CUE file contains a folder path for the MP3 file. In that case the MP3 file must be where the path points.

EDIT 2

More information about CUE file support in MC11: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23221.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 04:49:24 pm »

After the CUE tracks are properly imported MC11 can convert them to separate MP3 files if still needed, but I would not recommend that because they would be first decompressed and then compressed again to MP3 format. That would decrease the audio quality.

It's better to use separate utilities as GHammer suggested. mp3DirectCut and musiCutter can do it without further audio quality loss.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 04:56:18 pm »

After the CUE tracks are properly imported MC11 can convert them to separate MP3 files if still needed
Don't hate me, but what is the process for this?  I just want to do this real quick to a couple files that I got from a friend, but they are just CUE files in a directory with a big MP3 ... And I'd rather not get another app.   I'll accept the quality loss, but what is the exact procedure?  Convert to WAV, reconvert to MP3 ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 05:25:37 pm »

Did you edit the cue file(s)? Can you play the tracks now?

If they are OK it is just a matter of selecting them and converting to the format of your choice, e.g. MP3. It would be good to select MP3 VBR High (or better). Perhaps you won't notice any quality loss with that setting. MC will make separate files into the folder you have specified in conversion options.

EDIT

Tags and proper filenames are not included so you have to rename and tag the converted files if needed.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 08:16:08 pm »

Did you edit the cue file(s)? Can you play the tracks now?

If they are OK it is just a matter of selecting them and converting to the format of your choice, e.g. MP3. It would be good to select MP3 VBR High (or better). Perhaps you won't notice any quality loss with that setting. MC will make separate files into the folder you have specified in conversion options.

EDIT

Tags and proper filenames are not included so you have to rename and tag the converted files if needed.
I cannot convert them .. I can play them though . as separate songs, just fine ... Converting says FILE NOT FOUND.  But, I can play it just fine .. It's on local drive too ..

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 04:25:58 am »

I have no problems with conversions from CUE. I just tested it again. You must have something wrong with your setup or the files.

However, I don't use MC for that because it doesn't write tags and descriptive filenames. I use Foobar 2000. It can do it properly.

You could try one of the tools mentioned earlier. They are quite straightforward and relatively easy to use.

... or let it be and do something else more useful, as I should instead of writing this.  ;)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 08:23:57 am »

I have no problems with conversions from CUE.
What version of MC are you using and what is your exact procedure ?  Maybe we're doing something entirely different!

I'm using 11.0.199, I'm selecting all files by using filename=".mp3;", which selects all MP3s that are part of MP3/CUE file combos ... The I do the right-click, convert format, and select MP3 ABR 160kbps ... unfortunately, all of these files already say "FILE NOT FOUND" ....

They play fine, but they aren't available for conversion for some reason.  They are on the local hard drive as well! 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 08:43:45 am »

OK, let's try once more.

I have 11.0.199 and you could try this:

- At first delete these files from your library (not from the disk).
- Open Windows Explorer and right click the .cue file (not the mp3 file). Select Media Center > Import.
- Go to MC and select the newly imported CUE tracks (there should be no red X icons if the files are OK).
- Right Click > Library Tools > Convert Format. Select your options and it should work.
- Remember to untick "Skip conversions of same file type" since you are converting from MP3 to MP3.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 10:07:13 am »

Found the issue ...
People had placed .cue & .mp3 files in the same directory .. but we routinely reorg files according to Artist/Album ... So the .mp3 files got moved.   For some reason it still recognized WHERE they were but wouldnt convert until the .cue & .mp3 file were in the same directory!

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 07:44:20 pm »

can you have images associated with the tracks defined by the CUE files?

I have some DJ mp3 files broken out with CUE files, but when I try to attach an image, it says "inside file(s)" for the Image.

any ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 08:10:03 pm »

Select the cue tracks and right-click > Image > Add From File. The images must be external, because there are no physical files for separate CUE tracks. MC may show a tag writing error message, but don't care about it. It is a known bug and harmless.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 12:08:16 am »

MC may show a tag writing error message, but don't care about it. It is a known bug and harmless.

I have been "bugging" them about this for a month now... ;)

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 06:12:30 am »

Select the cue tracks and right-click > Image > Add From File. The images must be external, because there are no physical files for separate CUE tracks. MC may show a tag writing error message, but don't care about it. It is a known bug and harmless.

Something else was going wrong with me.  Right clicking was not working but it had nothing to do with CUE files or not.  I tried some regular mp3 and the right menu was not popping up either.  Strange.  Restarting MC cleared it up.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up