INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT -- How to turn PC power on with a remote  (Read 1546 times)

jmtuser

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
OT -- How to turn PC power on with a remote
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:34:12 pm »

My bios supports system power-up from the keyboard Hot-keys. (ie ctrl-F1)
Can the remote perform this function as well?
I know its shuts down OK, since the IR process is running.
I'm Using MCE IR remote.
I searched all forums for power-on but no matches.
I assume others would like to power-up remotely??

thanks for the help.
jt.

berrick

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Power on?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 05:23:50 am »

I could be wrong but i have tried without succes to perform the same task.... using pci events etc. The only way i know it will work (and i forget the make) is to use a tv card that has ir and a connector that u use to connect to the power switch connector on the mobo.

If ne one nose a nother way I'd like to no too  ;D

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
Re:OT -- How to turn PC power on with a remote
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:03:42 pm »

I just hit the power button on the remote :)
Of course, for this to happen, several other things have to happen as well. One, you need a way to keep your remote receiver powered when the computer is off. Some motherboards will allow BIOS setting to do this (usually under the power settings). Of course, whether your remote receiver is hooked up via USB, Serial, or is part of other existing hardware will affect how well this works. Two, you need to have a remote with a power button (or one that's programmable to send a message to the computer that it perceives as a power-on command). Three, you need an OS which allows this to happen (Most versions of windows which support ACPI). I'm using an MSI mini-ATX mobo running Windows MCE 2004 with a generic MCE USB IR remote. I've got the system set up to respond to power on and off commands by going into and out of S3 standby instead of actually powering off. This uses almost the same amount of energy, but has the advantage of an "instant on" and "instant off" response from the computer, as if it were just another stereo component. No long wait while it boots up. Power on, and MC10 is running and ready to play in under 5 seconds. If I set it to actually power on and off, the remote would still work (I've tried it, prior to using the S3 Standby), but it would take much longer to turn on and off.

visitrrr

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 04:49:11 am »

Hi, I'm thinking of turning my standard home Windows PC into a living room media server.
Regarding your statement: "Of course, whether your remote receiver is hooked up via USB, Serial, or is part of other existing hardware will affect how well this works. "

Can you explain:
a) what are the most common remote control options I should consider...  should I buy a specific remote receiver and can then use any universal remote control? Or does the remote control need to be bought together with the remote receiver? etc
b) what are the main diffs between using USB or serial to connect the remote receiver to the PC? Do you think either one is preferable over the other?

Thanks for your help.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 05:06:33 am »

There are a few nice products out there e.g. Redrat, IrMAN and USBUIRT all of which will learn the IR codes of any old remote control subject to you having the right software.  I can recommend the USBUIRT.  This not only receives IR but it can also send it so you could use it to control other equipment instead of just your PC.  Software-wise you should really look no further than www.girder.nl.  Girder has the power to control virtually any actions on your PC.  with the appropriate plug-in for your IR device Girder will see the incoming IR action and trigger an event that you specify.

I use www.NetRemote.org as my remote control to send signals from a WiFi-enabled handheld pocket PC directly to Media Center or Girder on my PC.  I can control my other equipment too with NetRemote by sending a message to Girder which in turn sends out the appropriate IR signal via the USBUIRT.  Controlling other equipment via the USBUIRT works better this way because the incoming signal is not IR so the outgoing signal (e.g. to my TV) can be transmitted instantly instead of having to wait for the incoming IR signal to get out of the way.

Sorry I can't help with the switching on/off of your PC.  I tried this and got absolutely nowhere.  The Standby option would definately work though.

You can get more info and advice on this sort of stuff in the Home Theatres section of the AVS forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up