INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increase Buffer size?  (Read 1264 times)

Crashless

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Increase Buffer size?
« on: June 10, 2004, 01:21:30 pm »

I'm running the media server on a computer at home and connecting to it from a laptop at work, it works almost perfectly, but I am getting short pauses in the songs as it catches up on the buffer, is there anyway to increase the size of the buffer on playback?  I don't mind a longer pause before a song starts, it's just that the pauses during songs are annoying.

I know it's related to buffer problems because 128kbs songs play without problems, but all my recently ripped CDs are 256 and suffer from pauses.

Thanks.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Increase Buffer size?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 01:35:24 pm »

I know it's related to buffer problems because 128kbs songs play without problems, but all my recently ripped CDs are 256 and suffer from pauses.

What max upload speed does your internet connection allow from your home ?

Crashless

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 02:20:36 pm »

512kbps upstream on an adelphia cable modem.  Which should be fine, but whatever hops must be between my office and home slow things down too much.

It shouldn't matter though, with a big enough buffer, I should be able to stream from a dialup, just with BIG pauses between songs.

Is there no way to set this?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 02:29:54 pm »

I would rather see MC port their TiVo HMO 'convert to .mp3' option to allow for remote streaming over the internet.

That way i could just convers my ape files to 160 bit mp3s to streat from the office to home, and not have to maintain another library.

It can't be that hard, it already does this for TiVo.

Please?

Please?

Pretty Please?
pretend this is something funny

Crashless

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 02:37:30 pm »

I would rather see MC port their TiVo HMO 'convert to .mp3' option to allow for remote streaming over the internet.

That would be cool too, but I would still want to fight for a custom buffer setting.  The conversion is a lot more taxing on the host CPU than simply allowing a bigger buffer on the client.  I don't know the code, but it would have to be easier to simply change the buffer size as it obviously already has one.  But I'm not a coder, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Plus, you loose quality everytime you re-encode.  And I often play on high-quality monitors at work, so 256kbps is a hell of a lot better than 128...
Pages: [1]   Go Up