INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move/Copy files in folders?  (Read 1129 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Move/Copy files in folders?
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:53:51 am »

Did this ever get sorted out?

I'd like to select a bunch of files, then copy them to another drive and have them organized in folders - like when you burn to a CD.

Is this at all possible?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Move/Copy files in folders?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 05:47:23 am »

You can use the "Rename Files From Properties" tool. There you can select directory options.

Files must be first tagged properly. From the MC tree you can select all files in the certain folder/subfolders and do this operation.

Remember to back-up your library and files first. It's a disk heavy operation and all tags get modified.

If you like to leave the original files intact then you must first copy all files to another location and do the operation there.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:08:04 am »

Well, that's what I ended up doing - copying all the files in the playlist to another drive, then doing a rename from properties.

And it was slow.

It would be much handier to be able to treat the destination drive as if it were a CDR, and organize the files as they are being copied.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:19:53 am »

What if you switch "Update tags when file info changes" in General Options temporally off. Then it should do only the directory creation. Is it faster?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:03:16 am »

Actually, in Tools/Options/Tree & View I edited the Filename field so that it is not saved in the file tags, ever. (Not really necessary, is it?)

So what is time consuming is simply the actual physical transfer of the files, followed by the rename operation. Bear in mind I'm talking about a lot of files.

So it would be nice if the files were already classified as they were copied, not in a posterior step.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 09:33:01 am »

I think it could still be faster if you disable tag writing completely. If the first step is copying files to the target drive then the second step should be almost immediate. MC writes only the new directory structure at the operating system level. (If the files remain on the same partition.)

If tag writing is allowed, MC unnecessarily touches the tags even if there are no changes to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up