INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems playing files over the network...  (Read 871 times)

ncriss1234

• Recent member
  • Fight for your digital rights--www.eff .org
Problems playing files over the network...
« on: November 12, 2002, 08:40:41 pm »

I've been building up my library of music on a server by ripping hi-resolution WMAs from my CD collection. Right now I have just over 1,000 tracks sitting on a share.

I'm using the ARTIST-ALBUM-TRACK naming to keep one flat folder with all the tracks. I use MJ on my client computer to access these files over an 11 Mbps wireless network.

As the number of files has grown, MJ's ability to playback files has gotten progressively worse. Upon initially loading, MJ it takes 5-10 seconds from the time I click on a track before it plays. With each successive selection it takes longer. After only 3 or 4 times it eventually stops working all together (displaying the message "Error acquiring the license"). Sometimes MJ locks up all-together.

I have the exact same library duplicated in Windows Media Player 9. I've seen none of the problems exhibited in MJ and playback of a track happens almost instantly.

My MJ build is: 8.0.388. Any suggestions? I like MJ a lot better then Windows Media Player but at this point it's pretty much unusable except for managing/editing media.

Thanks in advance for any help!! :)
* There's a party in my head--and I hope it never stops.  -D. Byrne

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Problems playing files over the network...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 09:30:00 pm »

Would setting up MJ's Media Server on your server computer and streaming the music to your client(s) be a viable alternative?  

My internet connection has a 30kbps upstream cap, and I'm still able to get good results when connecting to my home computer from work -- through my work's firewall and everything.  I bet that over an 11mbps lan, it'd work out pretty good.  Plus, you'd only have to keep the library on one computer.  Downside is that you couldn't update the library from the clients.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ncriss1234

• Recent member
  • Fight for your digital rights--www.eff .org
Re: Problems playing files over the network...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 09:45:37 pm »

Yeah, that's a pretty decent alternative. I've was doing that for a while but it sort of bugged me that I couldn't get it to work directly over the file system :)

It is sort of a bummer not to be able to create playlists, etc, on the server (via the client). I build up most playlists spontaneously, so it'd be a hassle to PCAnywhere into the server everytime I want to modify a playlist.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, though. I'd sort of subconciously switched back to Windows Media lately and kind of forgot all about the media server.

Incidentally, how'd you get such great performance on your media server?? My DSL gives me 128K upstream but I can't get a reliable stream at work. There are firewalls (doing NAT and port forwarding) at both ends, however, so that may be part of the problem.

Interestingly enough, I tried opening both up a WAN port directly and VPNing into the LAN and the performance difference wasn't even noticable.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion. -N.
* There's a party in my head--and I hope it never stops.  -D. Byrne
Pages: [1]   Go Up