INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spreadsheet Mode  (Read 721 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
Spreadsheet Mode
« on: June 21, 2004, 10:36:41 am »

When Media Center is in foreground, I use it as if it was a spreadsheet. Actually, I never felt the need for skins, and I started using them when it became impossible to use "No Skin". MC would really seem a standard spreadsheet when used by me. I prefer using the keyboard, and my hands lift off the keyboard to the mouse only when I cannot perform the intended operation otherwise.
To enter the spreadsheet-like mode you have to click the mouse on a very small area (8 by 8?) with the arrows pointing left. The focus might remain in the left pane, so pressing the up/down arrows produces unintended results. The first impression is that I am using a spreadsheet written by a newbie with very coarse design shortcomings and coding errors. Not always F2 edits the field. You have to "highlight", clicking with the mouse, the intended field. In general, Media Center resembles only a feeble similarity to a standard spreadsheet.
In a real "spreadsheet" mode you would move through fields (not entire lines) using the arrow keys. When the field is highlighted, you just press F2 and edit it. When a field can assume a limited set of values ("combo box" or "drop-down)", an hot-key could be used to open the list of possible values.
The hot-key could be F6 (or F4, I don't remember the Microsoft standard, but F4 is already taken). The ENTER key starts playback. The real spreadsheet mode can be switched on and off with the F4 hot-key (like the sidebar in Opera).
On the column heading, in spreadsheet mode, an "Automatic Filter" could be shown, in addition to the (few) standard filters.
Lots of additional filters could defined, for general use (not only in spreadsheet mode). Their icons could be dragged on the toolbar.

negopus
Pages: [1]   Go Up