INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 slow at start up  (Read 1937 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
MC10 slow at start up
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:40:30 am »

hello,

since updating to MC10, i have to wait about 10-15 seconds for MC to respond once the MC screen comes up on my monitor.  in fact i can access the music, but when i double click on a track it takes this long to respond.  once i have the first track playing, all is well after that.  anyone got any ideas what this could be?

thanks

nick.

jleerigby

Re:MC10 slow at start up
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:09:53 am »

Is your MC library on a network drive?

[Jlee starts to sound worryingly like JimH]
Try disabling all plug ins.
[Jlee gets a grip]

Look in options > start up for stuff that MC might be doing (like checking for updates etc).

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 06:46:48 am »

not sure what you mean by a network drive.  my music is stored on an external hard drive connected to my laptop via a USB hub.  i had the same amount of music on the drive before the problem started.

i am wondering whether this problem may be linked to NR/girder, as i installed MC10 about the same time i started using NR.

not much showing on MC start-up options.  it was set to check for updates every 14 days, but don't think that this could be the problem.

how do i disable plug-ins in MC10 - do i have to uninstall them?

thanks

nick

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 06:58:23 am »

Nick,

i had the same problem when i went from 9 to 10. It is some time ago, but i remember quiet well the solution for that. Please try to uninstall MC complete and reinstall it. After that, MC should load in a normal way.

Uwe

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 07:19:04 am »

No. Just find them in Plug In Manager and stop them.  I'm not talking about MP3 encoders and the like - just stuff that's not normally shipped with MC like some of the interface plug ins.

i am wondering whether this problem may be linked to NR/girder, as i installed MC10 about the same time i started using NR.
So if Girder / NR is not running do you still get the delay?

Hopefully Uwe's suggestion will solve your problem.  Before uninstalling make sure you back up your library (File> Library> Back Up) and you data / cover art directories.  After reinstalling make sure you overwrite remoteserver.dll with the 22/23 May 2004 version.  You'll also need to go through MC Options to set things up how they were.  Backing up the registry before uninstalling avoids this but that really deafeats the object of a fresh install.  And you may need to use up a restore to re-register MC if it shows up in Help as trial software.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 08:48:47 am »

ok, so i am getting there

successfully reinstalled MC10 and library and all seems to be working well in MC.  i have also updated remoteserver.dll in MC folder (the latest one from 0.996 suite installer - 220kb - says it was created today, not 22/23 may!!??).  and reset MC to run remoteserver on 8085.  but i am getting no connection between my PPC and MC.  this is for all functions including girder (the small button in the bottom left hand corner is red for all pages of CCF).  

i have probably missed something obvious,

any ideas??

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 09:23:39 am »

having played around for a while all seems to be working with the PPC/MC/girder connection....

thanks

nick
 ;)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 03:52:27 pm »

No. Just find them in Plug In Manager and stop them.  I'm not talking about MP3 encoders and the like - just stuff that's not normally shipped with MC like some of the interface plug ins.

I have a similar problem since I installed "DirectX Host" plugin: when I first start playing in MC, the cursor turns to an hourglass for about a minute, CPU spins to 10-20%, then suddenly stops. Playing start only if started with the mouse, not with CTRL+P or ENTER (to which I am more used).

I cannot find how to stop the "DirectX Host" plugin.

I am using ASIO on a Terratec EWX 24/96 sound card.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 07:09:18 pm »

I also have a long delay after Media Center is started before any music starts to play.  This is the case on all 3 computers it is installed on....1 laptop and 2 desktop computers.  My main computer is where the music is stored and it has the same delay.  After 1 song is started there is no longer a delay.  If nobody has any other ideas I may try the uninstall/install option but it sounds like work.....for all 3 computers.  I almost accepted this is how it works.  Now it sounds like no everyone is having this issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 08:05:57 pm »

I also have a long delay after Media Center is started before any music starts to play.  This is the case on all 3 computers it is installed on....1 laptop and 2 desktop computers.  My main computer is where the music is stored and it has the same delay.  After 1 song is started there is no longer a delay.  If nobody has any other ideas I may try the uninstall/install option but it sounds like work.....for all 3 computers.  I almost accepted this is how it works.  Now it sounds like no everyone is having this issue.

Does negopus's comment about the DirectX Host DSP plugin apply to you?  If so, try uninstalling it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 08:10:50 pm »

Yes Matt, seems to have worked.  I didn't try because I don't even remember when I installed it -- approximately ages ago --  because I don't remember doing it at all.  But removing it had a significant effect!  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up