INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Decrypter  (Read 1602 times)

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
DVD Decrypter
« on: June 29, 2004, 10:41:08 am »

I have had problems getting MC to recognize VOB files.  I use two modes for ripping DVDs with DVDdecrypter.  The default mode creates various IFO and VOB files for the entire DVD which includes all the preview junk as well as other "features" on the DVD.  The other mode only creates one VOB file for the main movie.

Problem 1:  MC will not import the files from the default mode as new media until I first open the directory containing the files under My Computer where MC goes through "gathering files".  I then goto "Import Media" and MC will the import the DVD.  If I don't first allow MC to gather files directly from the hardrive, MC "finds" no new files to import

Problem 2:  MC will not import at all the full movie as a VOB.  Is there a size limit on MC as the VOB file is over 2GIG?  Does it need the IFO information to load.

In either case, the resident DVD player plays either file type without a problem.  I would really rather not have to rip the entire DVD to make MC work

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:DVD Decrypter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:56:36 am »

I think if you rename the vob to mpg it will import and work...

I haven't gotten that far yet.... Let us know if that works.
-

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:21:50 am »

changing to mpg doesn't help.  Besides, I don't have to do this for the regular ripped files

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:32:29 am »

I use *.mpeg, which may still not import using Tools>Import Media (haven't tested...should work if you've got mpg/mpeg checked in File Associations under MC). It does work if you open an Explorer window, right click on the *.mpg/mpeg and select Media Center>Import. You can also play it in MC then import it while in Playing Now. Strangely, MC now sees *.mpeg's as a video type (which it didn't on initial import).

10-27

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:39:27 am »

I have VOB and mpeg checked.  But why should I have to change the format from VOB to mpeg.  Besides, it works if I include all the ripped files, it only doesn't if I rip the movie only.

MC seems to not recognize the VOB file without some additional info (possibly the IFO file), but programs such as DVDMax player or WinDVD play the file fine.  

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 11:59:22 am »

Yep...I know...you shouldn't. But rather than swim upsteam, I went with the flow. I've been using FileMerger to join the chapters together after a DVD-Decrypt rip. Where is that setting in DVD-D that will produce chapterless (1 file) rips? (I could find it I'm sure, but off the top of your head...)

10-27

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:03:22 pm »

Under Settings, File Mode tab, On Starup, Select Files = Main Menu.  File Splitting = None

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 12:25:49 pm »

xen and i have spoken about this before. i use autoGK (free app) to compress the .vob's into one avi which mc recognises straight away.

compressing video unfortunately is a slow cpu intensive process, but i like the end result. video at approx 1/4 original size (user definable depending on preferred output quality). the only thing i lose are the dvd menus / extras

pip

xen-uno

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:14:50 pm »

pip > ... is a slow cpu intensive process

I'll say...

Dr DivX on my 700 MHz PIII did WaveTwisters (54 mins) in about 8 hours (quality was so-so for both vid & audio). AutoGK went well beyond that and after 8 hours had just finished the audio and was 5 to 10% into the video. After leaving comp on overnite, I gave up (may have been 40 to 50% finished). Since I have few vid's here, I just use the mpeg (3 GB).

10-27

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 01:52:41 pm »

xen - thats some pretty shocking data!

i use a 1.4Ghz Pentium Mobile (laptop cpu). and find that it takes 1 to 3 hours per hour of video.

i also didnt find any noticable difference in speed / quality between AutoGK and Dr DivX. The main difference for me is that AutoGK is free and allows AC3 streams rather than just stereo.

The only thing i can think may be causing part of such a large difference in encoding rates between the 2 programs is the quality settings you are using. I *think* (but cant really remember) that AutoGK uses 2 pass encoding if you use a size constraint (eg. make it fit to 1.5gigs type setting), whereas Dr DivX may use 1 pass which is usually quicker.

However, im not much of a video encoding expert (hence the reason why i use the newbie AutoGK rather than Gordian Knot with all its features) so dont quote me on anything technical!

pip
Pages: [1]   Go Up