INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: request: fast forward  (Read 1869 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
request: fast forward
« on: June 28, 2004, 05:42:28 pm »

Perhaps this is a basic function that I just can't figure out how to use.  I'd like to be able to fast forward (and rewind) like on a tape player.

I know holding down the >> button skips ahead, but that's not what I'm looking for.  I'd like to hear the audio at high speed until I let go of the button.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:request: fast forward
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:58:17 pm »

Ctrl-RIGHT and Crtl-LEFT are the FF and REW functions.  Note that what you hear is rather "chunky" when doing this, and depending on your system, you may or may not be able to hear anything at all, or you might hear a loop of the sample that was playing when you first hit the button.

Larry

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:05:32 pm »

Thanks.  That's the same as holding down the >> or << buttons.  Not a real precise fast forward or rewind.  

I think a smoother fast forward and rewind w/ audio would be better.  It seems pretty important in a music player.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:11:33 am »

Forgive me, but where are the >> and << buttons?  I don't see these anywhere.  Does the display of these buttoms depend on the skin?

Thanks,

Larry

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:03:38 am »

Sorry...  that's what my skin shows.  It probably looks like >| and |< on other skins.

Pressing it once will skip to the next track.  But holding it down jumps forward (or backward) in the same track.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 01:13:52 pm »

If you use gapless seeking and a short buffer time (like .1 seconds), it'll sound like a hardware player when you hold control and tap left or tap right.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 05:35:36 pm »

Thanks Larry and Matt.
Tapping right or left (w/ CTRL pressed) gives me the control I was looking for, skipping by 5 seconds.  

Holding the keys (w/ CTRL pressed) skipped 30 seconds at a time; and holding the buttons "accelerated" the skipping - 30 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec, etc.

And the changed settings gives me the sound my ears are expecting.  Thanks again.

Matt, I know you have to limit the number of options that you add to MC, but I'd suggest allowing the FF and RW buttons to skip 5 seconds when held (instead of accelerating).

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 05:38:31 pm »

If you use gapless seeking and a short buffer time (like .1 seconds), it'll sound like a hardware player when you hold control and tap left or tap right.

Yes, it's awesome & I didn't know it! But is true only during the first second, let me say 'in slow forward', not during accelerated forward.
I think that it would be great if I could maintain the initial function of slow search.
Stebajo

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 06:36:32 pm »

Holding the keys (w/ CTRL pressed) skipped 30 seconds at a time; and holding the buttons "accelerated" the skipping - 30 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec, etc.

This is odd since on the systems I tried this on, it only skips about 5 seconds at a time.  I would actually like it to do a bit more, or to accelerate the longer you hold it down -- that would be more like hardware players, which scan faster and faster if you hold the button down longer.

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 07:03:04 pm »

Holding the next / previous buttons down has acceleration.

Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right are always 5 second jumps.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 07:43:31 pm »

I guess holding Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right just accumulates the 5-second jumps...  Just tested it some more, and it's more like 20 to 25 seconds at a time.  But I guess I should stick with tapping.

Re scanning like hardware players... I'm thinking of audio cassette players when I say this; when you FFW while playing, it scans at a higher, but constant speed - which I like.  Only if you Stop first, and then FFW, it'll accelerate.  That helps with 60 minute tapes (as well as with 6 hour video tapes).  For me, I don't really see the value of acceleration in MC when I have 5 minute music tracks and a Next Track button.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 07:50:49 pm »

You can do fancy fast-forwards with the Tempo & Pitch plugin here:
http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/accessories.php

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 09:20:47 pm »

Cool plug-in.
Very highly rated by users too.  15 out of 10!
Pages: [1]   Go Up