INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NetRemote work with MC Client?  (Read 1776 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
NetRemote work with MC Client?
« on: June 29, 2004, 06:02:22 pm »

From what I can gather over at the NetRemote site, it works with MC in "Server" mode.

I would like to maintain my music library on my office PC upstairs and use a bare-bones (small and relatively quiet) computer connected to my HT to access the music.  That means MC in "Server" mode on the office PC and MC in "Client" mode on my HTPC.  I would like to use my laptop to control MC on the HTPC, which is in client mode.  Can NetRemote do this?

Many thanks.

(P.S. First company to produce a Media Receiver with lossless support, good onscreen interface, bit-perfect playback through digital out to processor/receiver, and good internet music support (Shoutcast!) wins my business!!!)

jleerigby

Re:NetRemote work with MC Client?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 02:34:32 am »

I run MC on my HTPC with all the music files held on the D Drive of my upstairs PC.  I simply map D drive on my HTPC to the upstairs D Drive.  That way both PC's can share the same library and files (though it's not recommended to run MC concurrently in this way).  I store the library on the HTPC so that MC opens faster downstairs.

I use NetRemote on a PPC to control the HTPC in the lounge.

The reason I don't use Media Server is that it does not allow updating of files so I would not be able to add ratings to files being played via the HTPC (the client).  Running it like I mentioned above gives me full control and little complexity.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 05:27:19 pm »

JLee -

By "run MC concurrently" I assume you are running MC on both PCs?  How does MC on the upstairs PC have access to album cover art, etc, if the library is resident on the HTPC?  (I assume you rip using your HTPC?)

Thanks.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 06:02:56 pm »

Eh...read better, young man. He said he had mapped the D drive. I assume that means that our friend has the covers and such on the D drive as well.  ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 09:08:37 pm »

JLee states he "stores the library on the HTPC so that MC opens faster downstairs".  That sounds like he is storing MC library info separate from the music files.  He also states, however, that "both PCs can share the same library and files", hence a bit of confusion for me.

It seems possible to have MC loaded on multiple computers with all instances set up such that all directories point to a shared drive (whether that be a drive in a computer somewhere or a true network drive).  That way all copies of MC would have access to all necessary info and all of them could be in "server" mode and controlled by NetRemote.

JLee - is this how you're set up?  NetRemote does indeed require you to set MC on your HTPC to "Server" mode, correct?

Thanks.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 01:41:50 am »

NetRemote doesn't require any special mode, it will work with any mode for MC.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 02:23:15 am »

Both PC's point to the same Library on the HTPC.  

My library is indeed stored separate from the music files.  You can store your library anywhere and point to it using library manager so the upstairs PC is pointing to a library on a network drive.  All my cover art is in the album folders (folder.jpg) but, again, you can store it in the cover art folder if you wish and put that anywhere you like (Tools>Options).

My library contains a load of files (stored on my upstairs PC) where the file location begins 'D:\'.  Since the HTPC has D drive mapped to the D drive upstairs then both instances of MC are able to find the files when using that same library.

And, no I'm not set up in 'Server' mode for the reasons I gave earlier.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 05:32:05 pm »

JLee, Mastiff -

By your replies I take it then that if I'm not worried about updating the library during listening sessions (ratings, etc.) will it work to have my office PC in "server" mode and my HTPC in "client" mode while controlling MC on the HTPC using NetRemote.  (Please correct me if I'm missing something obvious here).

Next logical question: Can I have multiple "client" versions of MC pulling from a single "server" with multiple copies of NetRemote controlling the various "clients"?  This would give me whole-house A/V distribution via my Ethernet network as long as I drop a PC everywhere I want access.

JLee - I understand you have the library loaded local on your HTPC for speed - just wondering if you've ever tried updating the library via the upstairs PC?  I like your setup but I want to use my upstairs (office) PC to do my rips, not my HTPC (or multiple HTPCs), and want to make sure everything will update correctly in this case.

Thanks.

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 03:10:39 am »

work to have my office PC in "server" mode and my HTPC in "client" mode while controlling MC on the HTPC using NetRemote.
I don't know but I can't see any reason why not.

Next logical question: Can I have multiple "client" versions of MC pulling from a single "server" with multiple copies of NetRemote controlling the various "clients"?  This would give me whole-house A/V distribution via my Ethernet network as long as I drop a PC everywhere I want access.
Yes, but like you said it's not the most cost effective and neat solution as it requires a PC everywhere and some means of amplification.  A neater solution would be to run MC multi-zone from the server, buy some reasonably cheap amps and soundcards and run speaker cables to the various rooms in the house.  Control the amps with NR via a usb-uirt or similar device.  Control the various zones in MC on the server via NR using a single NR client if you wish (there is a control to switch zone).  This method will also allow you to change ratings if you wish.

JLee - I understand you have the library loaded local on your HTPC for speed - just wondering if you've ever tried updating the library via the upstairs PC?  I like your setup but I want to use my upstairs (office) PC to do my rips, not my HTPC (or multiple HTPCs), and want to make sure everything will update correctly in this case.
I do all my ripping and tagging from the upstairs PC.  It's the location of the files thats more of an issue when it comes to speed of tagging.  Updating the library over a network takes no time at all.  That's why I have the files on my upstairs PC - so that I can rip and tag from there without sending them over the network to my HTPC.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 05:46:20 pm »

Yeah, that multiple client thing sounds like a pain in the ... I have my system set up with two computers covering the whole house. You might want to take a look at my webpage, it shows the layout of my system (except for the latest HTPC, that one isn't in there yet).
Pages: [1]   Go Up