INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Pro  (Read 2196 times)

BobParks2

• Change this by choosing profile
MP3 Pro
« on: July 02, 2004, 03:29:14 pm »

I use 8.0.388, it has the TV.

I have some MP3 files that were saved at a bitrate of 320. I have been told that MP3 PRO at 64 would sound virtually the same and save desk space.

Is there someone who sells whatever is needed so I could convert these files and save disk space?

Thank you

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MP3 Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 04:12:06 pm »

MP3 pro was a great idea, It just never ended up being any good..

No, 320 will not be as good as pro at 64....
If you go from a Lossy Format (mp3, wma etc) to another lossy format you will lose a ton of quality.

If you have the original CD's you may want to re rip at wma, it'ss save a bit of space.

For more info do a search on this forum for mp3 pro, It will back up what I am saying
-

BobParks2

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 04:16:54 pm »

Thank you. MP3 PRO is off my list.

At what WMA rate would you suggest in lieu of 320 MP3. I do have the CDs, somewhere.

Thanks again

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 04:34:32 pm »

The difference in size is pretty small...

Best thing to do, Is rip 1 cd at a few different rate, try Variable bit rates, also try Ogg it maybe smaller...

I can not really hear the diff between mp3 320 and variable at around 160...

What are you playing back on?
-

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 06:34:35 pm »

Well, the first question to ask is where you will use the music, and what for.

General consensus around here has been:

- If quality is your chief concern, then re-rip to APE (or FLAC), both are lossless compressors and you can always derive any other format from them. MC10 supports APE natively, FLAC with plugins.

- If portability is your chief concern (ie you want to use the files on a portable player) then VBR MP3 using LAME is a good compromise between size & quality, and they files will play on just about anything. MC10 supports VBR LAME MP3s natively. (But you should re-rip) This option has been my choice, I have not regretted it, the only other option I would consider is lossless.

- If filesize is your chief concern, then WMA or OGG produce equivalent quality to MP3 at a smaller filesize. However, WMA is potentially DRM encumbered, and OGG is not really widely supported on portable devices.

Folks, correct me if I'm wrong here?

We might consider making this a sticky - it is a question that has been asked many times before.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 09:03:24 am »

I agree with these sentiments.

- Quality: Go for APE and buy a big hard drive
- Balance on quality / smaller files / compatibility: Go MP3 VBR with the setting "--alt-preset insane"
- Even smaller files:  WMA

I always use MP3 VBR and can't personally tell the difference between that and lossless but that's not to say that you won't.  This is nothing to do with the equipment being used as I have a very good soundcard, amp and speakers.  It's my ears that are crap.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 04:10:42 am »

I personally don't understand why people think that WMA is anything like as good as MP3 - to me, it sounds awful.

MP3 Pro is actually interesting, though - there are a lot of radio stations out there broadcasting in MP3 Pro at 64kbps; the Philips Streamium supports MP3 Pro out of the box, and I was amazed by how good the radio stations sounded.

Personally, I'd also avoid VBR MP3s - I don't think it gains you a significant advantage, but there are enough downsides to using them to make them annoying (mostly to do with the fact that you have to guess stuff about them and some hardware devices particularly are bad at doing that)

But clearly opinions vary :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up