INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Needed With "View Schemes"  (Read 2788 times)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
Help Needed With "View Schemes"
« on: July 10, 2004, 04:14:01 pm »

Does anyone know of a way to display within a "view scheme" (ie. artist/album) only those songs/formats that actually exist on your HDD?

Currently, under "Audio" when I expand the "Artist/Album" view scheme and choose a specific artist, listed within are not only my "ripped" files but also "cda" files from the entire CD when MC first accessed said CD to "rip" my specific songs.

The whole idea, for me, behind ripping certain songs off a CD is to keep only certain ones.  To open up MC, choose a specific artist and have to view songs that I didn't actually rip is confusing/irritating to say the least.  This inclusion of "cda" files into the view scheme didn't use to be the case with MC.

Is there a way to modify my "view schemes" to reflect only those songs which have been ripped (actually exist on my HDD)?  Or maybe another way of looking at it, a "view scheme" that eliminates the inclusion of "cda" files.

I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled going back a version (from 149 to 148) and the problem exists there as well.  Didn't exist in 9.  I've recently paid for an upgrade to MC10 and I'm hoping that this isn't a new feature in 10, or if it is, that it can at least be modified to meet my needs.

Any enlightenment anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated,

ballen

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Help Needed With "View Schemes"
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 04:26:06 pm »

Edit the view scheme and add  "-~d=c" to the search criteria.  This says "don't include the CD database".

There's a help topic for "Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers" that has the full syntax.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 10:39:25 pm »

Thanks RemyJ for your response.  Things have gotten complicated real quick with these newer version releases.  Tried to make sense of the specified "Help" location you stated "Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers" and just got confused.

Decided to just input the switches you supplied (-~d=c).  Editing the view scheme, I added into the field labeled "Step 4. Pick Files To Show...", after the default entry which already existed (Media:Audio), your switches.  Looks like this (Media:Audio -~d=c).  After "ok'ing the dialog box, I reviewed a chosen artist but the "cda" files were still listed.

As it sits now, viewing any one of my artists, there's a duplicate entry for all my songs.  One in my ripped "ape" format and then an original "cda" entry.  (12) songs turns into (24) entries.  My current library contains approx. 2500 songs.  Totally confused/frustrated/irritated...probably back to MC 9 for me.

I don't understand the motivation for MC now including "cda" files within "view schemes".  What's their value in a view scheme?  Isn't the whole idea behind a music database is to provide the ability to sort one's music for playback/playlist creation/burning by storing said music on one's HDD.  Including "cda" files requires one to retrieve the original CD to be placed back into the CD tray for playback taking away one of the best features of any music applic., the ability to quickly assimilate a compilation of music and play/burn it immediately (usually off the HDD and not by retrieving the original CD out of a CD storage unit).

Appreciate the help RemyJ,

ballen

ballen

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 12:28:09 am »

Very strange.   It works perfectly for me, but I'm on V11 right now and can't easily go back to 10.   Still, I don't remember having the problem on V10 at all.  In fact, the default is to NOT include the CD database anyway.  

Might I suggest (after a library backup)...  
a) Deleting and recreating the view scheme.
b) Resetting all view schemes to default.
c) Create a new library and import.

The CD database itself is a good feature for those with limited disc space  who want to at least catalog their music even if they can't rip it all.

Oh, out of curiosity, try adding the "removable" field to your view.  It should be "1" for the CD files and "0" for the HD files.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 02:24:43 pm »

RemJ, many thanks for your input.  Discovered exactly where the "cda" files are being added to the view scheme, it's upon my creation of a playlist of the CD in the tray.

Having a vast CD library, I've been gradually grabbing several CDs a week and ripping my favorite songs.  Upon initially inserting the CD, it will do a YABB database lookup and then begin playing.  At this point, the "cda" files haven't been added.  As the CD plays, I'll tag all the songs and place them in order of my preferred listening sequence.  I do this so that if in the future, when I listen to said CD, the songs will play in the order that I'd like.

As soon as I create a "playlist" is when the "Artist" is added to the view scheme, if it didn't exist before and at this point is when the "cda" files are added.

I already have a vast MC library created by MJ/MC the past couple of years and I've never had this issue.  Recently having upgraded to MC10, something must've gone "south" during the upgrade or this is a designed feature of MC10.

Out of the (3) options you've suggested, I've done the first 2 on my own with the problem still exisiting.  I'll try creating a new library and reimporting my songs.  Using the "Help" feature, I found the "removable" field you mentioned and I'll take a look at it.  

I've been in a bad habit of just accepting the latest upgrade and I'll now be following the old axiom, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I'll backtrack probably to MC9 because it's a major pain when a large library gets messed with.

Once again, many thanks for your suggestions and assistance, it's greatly appreciated,

ballen

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 08:38:34 am »

Adding a file to a playlist imports it.  This is by design.

Add -[File Type]=[cda] to the view scheme to exclude CDA files from a view.

(btw, you can't currently use a negative in front of ~d in a search)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 10:56:01 am »

Many thanks Matt for enlightening me.  BTW, I'm a fellow "ape" lover and I'm quite happy with your suggestion from a prior post of mine that I tryout MC 10 for its' enhanced "ape" features.  Previously I was using EAC. Nice not having to bounce between applications now.

Before upgrading to MC 10, I reviewed the new features and I don't recall this automatic importation being mentioned.  It's a major inconvenience to me and as mentioned, didn't use to occur up to my last version of MC 9.

What is the last version of MC I could go back to before this feature of "automatic importation once a playlist is created" began?  It would ne nice to have control of this feature thru "Options" but I need to rollback to a point before this took effect.

Many thanks once again,

ballen

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 10:58:53 am »

Since you can easily filter CD files in any view, there's no need for an option.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 12:20:03 pm »

Hey Matt,

Forgot to mention in my last post before you replied, that yes, the keyword you provided does work (would've never found it on my own).

It won't work on the parent view scheme (Audio) but does work on all sub view schemes underneath it.  My problem with over 2500 songs is that I have over a dozen view schemes, not to mention any future ones I might add.

Rolling back to a previous version is preferred over individual editing of each existing and future view schemes to be created.

Once again, Many Thanks for taking the time to clarify the matter for me and providing a solution...Much appreciated!   ;)

ballen

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 12:29:10 pm »

You edit the parent view scheme.

Children will inherit it. (configurable, but on by default)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 01:16:45 pm »

Hey again Matt,   ;D

You edit the parent view scheme.

Is there a typo here?  Did you mean to say, you can edit the parent view scheme, it's just that all sub-listings (children) would inherit the change?  If so, that works perfectly.  Or is there a joke in there somewhere (parent/children)?   :D

If the parent view scheme (Audio) can be configured vs. editing each individual sub-listing, I'd definitely like to know how.  I just didn't find adding "-[File Type]=[cda]" to "Audio" eliminated "cda" files from the view.

Thanks again,

ballen

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 01:38:33 pm »

You must tick the 'Honor parent scheme search strings' if it is not enabled in your children view chemes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 02:58:10 pm »

You could always just delete the cda listings from the database.  View the whole database, sort by file type, select all cda and delete.  Maybe 20 seconds.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 04:47:43 pm »

Alex B, that's the fix!   :D

Add "-[File Type]=[cda] to "Audio" view scheme only and then tick "Honor parent scheme search strings" in all sub view schemes.  Any additional view schemes created in the future will have the "tick" already there as a default.   Your "cda" listings are no longer seen but they still exist for the purposes of your created playlists.

You don't want to delete the "cda" listings found in your library, you will then lose the playlists you've created.  Discovered this the hard way.

Many thanks one and all,

ballen
Pages: [1]   Go Up