INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Automatic Playlist Creation  (Read 1307 times)

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
Request: Automatic Playlist Creation
« on: July 10, 2004, 03:03:38 am »

We all know the little handicap of the handhelds ... no real smart playlists (yet), and only limited number of categories availabe (Artist, Album, Genre), missing items like Custom1, Custom2 or Artist-Album.
So you have to create playlists yourself for each of them and mostly manual!

My reqeuest: A way to automatically create playlists in Media Center so it can be used for example on your handheld!

It would create different playlists with the Media Center fields you define. For example, you could define a list of playlists for all the good trance and list it by Artist (Additionally you could also limit the songs with rules, e.g. Genre=Trance AND Rating>3)
and specify the pattern how the playlist would be created: Playlist:[Counter]. [Genre] - [Artist]

So the playlists created could look like
1. Trance - Paul Oakenfold
2. Trance - Paul Van Dyk
3. Trance - DJ Quicksilver

etc.

So the Wizard would take two inputs:
  • Rule to limit the songs (including sorting), using the same expression parser as it is used for smartlists.
  • Format of how the Playlist name will be generated, using the same expression builder as the file renamer tool used to create filenames from tags.

And of course the wizard would create fix playlists (or maybe even smartlists with the criteria used to generate the playlists).

How does that sound? Any other people that would be interested in such a thing?

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Request: Automatic Playlist Creation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:00:33 am »

Interesting idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 12:24:36 am »

I'm happy Matt saw it ... but am I really the only one who is missing such a feature?

Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

Michael Horton

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 12:46:35 am »

"am I really the only one who is missing such a feature"

I right-click on my music folder in windows explorer and select "play." Then I go about my daily activities happy that there's music playing in the background. I don't use genres, playlists, smartlists, or organize music by beats per minute, mood, etc.  Maybe this program has gotten too sophisticated for me.

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:28:34 am »

I seldom listen to albums straight through now, so all of my listening is done with playlists. The problem for me is that I don't even know how to use all of the features of the language that we already have. I'd be happy with anything that would allow me to use the playlists fully.

Bill

bebop

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 12:14:56 pm »

This feature would be of interest to my dance instructor whom I have just recently convinced to try out  MC!  Playlist creation and ability to send to a handheld (which she is considering getting for ease of portability) is a high priority, but not exactly what sold her on MC (besides my constant raving about it, that is  ;D ).  the part that got her interested was the all inclusiveness of MC - the ability to catalogue her music, do BPM and tempo etc. as well as burn CD's when needed from a single application was what sold her.  Automating the process  of creating playlists on specific criteria (without any real computing skills necessary )  would really help  as she is relatively new to doing this on a PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up