INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only getting the right channel when recording LP's  (Read 1646 times)

zombiewoof

• Change this by choosing profile
Only getting the right channel when recording LP's
« on: July 24, 2004, 05:31:24 pm »

I was reading the thread started by Piranhaha who got only the left channel when recording LP's at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22399.

I've got kind of a similar problem.

I'm running LP's into my receiver.  I use Pre Out to get the sound going to the sound card in my PC.  (I'd prefer to use the tape outputs, but it's an old Yamaha receiver that only allows one of the turntable or tapedeck controls to be used at a time.)  It's a Soundblaster card, but I'm not sure which one ... either an Audigy or one level lower?  I'm using Wave Repair on the PC to capture.

When I record through the mic input, I get the correct volume.  But I only get the right channel.

When I record through the line in, I get really low (unacceptably low) volume but at least I'm getting both channels.

Obviously I want the proper volume with both channels.  Thoughts?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Only getting the right channel when recording LP's
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:03:34 pm »

Many mic inputs are mono.

The problem is probably the fact that you're using the pre- out instead of tape out. The pre-out is governed by the volume and tone controls. Make sure all tone controls are set to "flat". The volume level would have to be turned up nearly all the way to equal the output level of the "tape out".

I don't understand why you can't use your 'tape out'? If you set your source selector to 'phono', there should be a signal coming out of your tape out, unless your yamaha has a "record" selector in which case, in addition to the previous you would select 'source' (or 'phono') on the "record' selector.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

zombiewoof

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 04:30:58 pm »

I don't understand why not either.  But I had two (count 'em!) computer techs make house calls, and neither could get so much as a signal coming through the tape out.  

I took the receiver to the electronics store, and the fellow there said the only way I'd get a signal was through the pre-out.  I got the signal right away, then after some fine-tuning got to the point where it's an acceptable sound ... but just in mono.

BTW, the receiver has a bank of toggles for the tape side of things, and a bank of toggles for other sources.

For the tape side, the five toggles are:
Play A
Play B
Dub A to B
Dub B to A
Source

If the 'source' toggle is down, it means you're not using the tape functions ... you're over with the other sources (phono, radio, audio signal from TV).

But it's an either/or situation: If you're using one of the tape functions, you can't get at anything else.  But if you're using phone (or whatever) the tape toggles aren't useable.

Guess I'll have to settle for mono CD's in the car ....  I'm not really inclined to buy a new receiver for this ....  Wish I could remember how I managed to get from LP's to cassette's back when I used to do that! ;D

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:04:15 pm »

What model is your reciever? I have a friend who was a Yamah techie when I was in the stereo biz, maybe we can track down an owner's manual for you.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 12:02:00 am »

Are you sure that the cable you're using is actually a dual-rca to STEREO mic input?

and/or that the cable isn't flakey?

I know, it sounds like an obvious question...
Cheers
Rob

zombiewoof

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 12:12:21 am »

Yamaha CR-1000 ... made in about 1975, but pretty decent machine.

Yes, the cable seems to be ok in stereo.  It's got the two black rings mentioned in the other thread I cited.    Actually, I've got two 10-foot cables, since it's about 15 feet from receiver to PC ... the electronics technician where I took the receiver tested out the one coming out of the receiver, and it had both channels ... and we put the second one that connects to the PC in a new PC at the computer store and it gave good stereo quality through headphones  .... like I said earlier, I can get stereo using line in on my PC soundcard, but since I'm coming out of pre-out I get hopelessly weak volume.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 06:47:19 am »

For the tape side, the five toggles are:
Play A
Play B
Dub A to B
Dub B to A
Source

I have used many 70's and 80's receivers. They all had quite similar logic in this.

First two are apparently the usual tape monitor positions. They are used for selecting which tape input is monitored. They should not change tape out connections. The tape outputs should get input from whatever main source you have selected (Phono, Tuner, AUX). If you have a 3 head tape deck (separate playback and recording heads) you should be able to monitor the actual sound from the tape when recording it.

Dup A to B means that the input from tape monitor A is directed to the tape B output. (The tape A output should still get the selected main source.)

Dup B to A works similarly. The recording source for tape A is now tape B.

Source means that both tape outputs (A & B) should get the selected main source input. (Phono, Tuner, AUX). At least this position should work for you. If not then it is broken.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 06:52:03 am »

I got around this whole business by buying a cheap Tandy (Radio Shack) Optimus Lab-1100 turntable which has a builtin pre-amp, and a switch to change output to line level, so it can go straight into the line-in on the PC.

Of course, if you're a bit of an audiophile, it's probably not the best quality audio around (but then my old records sounds pretty crummy to me anyway).

It was about $120 here in Aus...

Works a treat...
Cheers
Rob

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 07:31:07 am »

I am a great fan of this little gadget:
Terratec Aureon 7.1 Firewire external sound card

It has about everything including a high quality phono preamp and about the best possible playback quality. Though it's not cheap and it may need an extra firewire card.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up