INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manipulating Replay Gain  (Read 903 times)

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
Manipulating Replay Gain
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:08:08 am »

After one has analysed an audio file, is it possible to alter the Replay Gain 'number/figure'? It would be neat to be able to tweak it manually for some songs (eg. albums with back-to-back tracks in which the first leads into the other, as if it were all one track. If the replay gain level for each song varies by more than a few dB, the moment the latter track starts will lead much louder or softer than intended).

PS- I know I can turn Replay Gain off at anytime.

Matty.

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:Manipulating Replay Gain
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:15:13 pm »

You cannot edit replay gain values in MC 10. I dont know if other tagging programs will allow you to do so.

On the upside, there have been indications from JRiver in the past that they might implement some sort of album gain (avg RG value for a whole album), which would solve the problem with back to back album tracks. Havent seen anything recently though.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:32:45 pm »

MC 11 has an album gain solution.  It does not allow manual changes to the RG info, but it otherwise works as it should.

You *can* modify the RG tags in your media files using other tag editors - in my case, I was using foobar2000 to change my replay gain tags from standard track based gain to an album based gain (this was before album gain was implemented in MC).  I outlined a method of doing this for files using APE tags in the "plugins" forum, which you should be able to find easily enough, but this method did not include steps for modifying ID tags at all...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 03:24:11 pm »

MC 10 help: Replay Gain Adjustment
Automatic based on current playlist

Plays the playlist as loud as possible without clipping. (but still at the same volume).  For example, if you play a loud rock album, replay gain turns down the volume for the entire album. Automatic based on current playlist will play all files as loud as possible, and only turn down the volume for the files that are actually louder than the others in the playlist.  In other words, each playlist is as loud as possible while being the same volume *inside* the playlist.  The volume *between* playlists will be very different.

I think this option uses a constant replay gain value for the whole Playing Now playlist. So if you put one full album there that should be effectively the same as Album Gain. Though the description is a bit confusing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up