INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artist question  (Read 1020 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Multiple Artist question
« on: July 29, 2004, 05:11:37 pm »

I just ripped all four CDs from my Eric Clapton "Crossroads" box set.  The first three CDs have multiple artists (E.C., Derek and the Dominos, Cream, etc.) and the fourth CD is all Clapton.  I would like for MC to display all four CDs as "Multiple Artist" discs even though the 4th disc is not (just so they all show up in the same place).  

The only way I have figured out to do this is to add a space to the end of "Eric Clapton" on one of the songs of disc 4.  This works, but is not an ideal solution.  The only other way I can think of to accomplish this is to remove the "(Disc ##)" classification for each disc and make them all one compilation (which may or may not be a bad idea - I haven't decided yet)...

Any ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Multiple Artist question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 07:06:26 pm »

The only other way I can think of to accomplish this is to remove the "(Disc ##)" classification for each disc and make them all one compilation ...

When I rip multiple CD albums I always renumber tracks (e.g. from 1 to 45). I use one common album name and I write the disk numbers in the comment field (CD 1, CD 2, etc).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 07:52:43 pm »

Thanks Alex, that's what I was considering.  I went ahead and did it, but it might be something (low priority) that the JRiver folks would want to look at.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:52:20 pm »

For all of my multi-artist compilations, I manually set the Album Artist field to "Various Artists", as I like to them in the tree grouped together under "Various Artists" (just like I used to have them ordered when I had shelf-fulls of CDs). Individual tracks still have the artist field set to the proper artist.

My most used view scheme shows me all these albums under "Various Artists" in the tree, as I use "Album Artist (auto)" in the view scheme.

I also have a view scheme which builds the tree based on "Artist" as well, so I can see all the tracks in an "Artist-centric" way, rather than the "Album-centric" way described above.

If the album is a multi-disc set I also renumber all the tracks, and refer to the disc number in the comment field, as Alex B does...
Cheers
Rob

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 11:21:24 pm »

I manually set the Album Artist field to "Various Artists"

Interesting.  I tried that but it wouldn't stick (in MC 11).

I figured out what I did, I think...  I was trying to change the "Album Artist (auto)" tag instead of "Album Artist".  I'm probably going to leave it as it stands now, but it's a good learning experience. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 12:58:16 am »

ditto for me as Alex does it.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up