INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I restore everything???  (Read 1012 times)

tessa

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
How do I restore everything???
« on: August 02, 2004, 10:14:12 am »

Since I like to monkey around with lots of different software (new and beta), I frequently revert back to a ghost image.  I also have 2 machines that I run MC on.  What I would like to be able to do, prior to restoring from ghost, is save off all of my settings so I don't have to set everything up again.  This includes:

Smartlists
Playlists
View Schemes
Stuff under Options (like using MP3 for encoding)

I tried using the Backup Library function and that didn't restore any of the above.  I looked in the registry branch under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver and didn't see anything that looked like a location.  I looked under Document and Settings and didn't see anything there.

I have done several searches of the forum to try to find this information so *please* don't lambast me if this is posted somewhere.  If it is, please just post the link and I'll be very grateful.

But could someone please tell me how to do this?  Also, if there is a list somewhere of where all settings related to MC are stored, both files and registry keys, I'd really appreciate that as well.  I'd like to play around with customizing it some more but am having difficulty really knowing where the various things are.

Thanks so much!
Tessa

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:How do I restore everything???
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:43:20 am »

I tried using the Backup Library function and that didn't restore any of the above.

That Option "Backup Library" Is Not To "Restore" Your Data

The "Restore Library" Option Does However, If You Already Have A Backup
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tessa

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:28:00 pm »

Sorry if I wasn't explicit enough.

Before I restored my Ghost image, I selected:
File >> Library >> Backup Library

I chose a partition that would not be overwritten and it saved the file: MC Library Backup (Default - 8-1-2004).zip

After I restoring my ghost image, I then ran
File >> Library >> Restore Library

and selected MC Library Backup (Default - 8-1-2004).zip

It said the restore was successful but no playlists nor custom view schemes were shown.

I just went through those steps again and created a completely new back up, deleted a view scheme and playlist and then restored the backup.  This time it worked fine.  I wonder why it didn't the last time.  One possibility?  Our file server's primary disk went bad so we took out the media disk and put it in a different machine.  The media is fine but the drive letter is different and it's now a  local disk instead of being network.  Could this have caused the problem?

Still, the list of where settings are and all would be useful, if anyone has such a thing.  

Thanks again

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 01:19:25 pm »

You may  want to do some seaches on this... I **THINK** views and lists etc are kept in the registry... I remeber reading something about that...  I think from JLee??
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 01:47:11 pm »

I don't think options are included in the backup. Backup zip includes only .jmd files from the MC program directory. Options are kept in the Windows registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up