INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Splitting -- is there a way to manually add or remove a split?  (Read 1913 times)

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

Auto track splitting's been working very well for me, but while recording Heart's Dreamboat Annie from LP, which features the sound of ocean waves leading in and leading out of some of the tracks, the track splitting went nuts -- I've got 16 tracks on a 10-song album.

I monkeyed with the sensitivity, but couldn't get it right.

Is there a way to manually remove some of these "false" splits?

My goal is to have 10 tracks listed so that I can stick them on my iPod in that display.

Also, I anticipate that once I move to classical recording, I'll need to know how to manually add a split.  Can you do that?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Track Splitting -- is there a way to manually add or remove a split?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:09:38 am »

I don't think it is possible. You can record to single file and use Media Editor for splitting.
If you are recording to MP3 format you can use mp3DirectCut (a freeware tool) for lossless splitting.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:37:17 am »

You dont specify what format you are using to listen to ?

The track splitting with MC is using the track index markers set when the CD was mastered. Give that CD a good clean, smudges might confuse things.

For splitting mp3, rip with EAC + cue and use musicutter

i find it more intuitive and easier to use than mp3directcut. Its lossless and  can join split files as well.

However if its in mp3, i bet you will hear the gaps between tracks, better to go with 1 large file instead. If you are going to listen to classical..lossless is best ie APE.

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:11:09 am »

I'm recording from an LP record album via a USB device on line in, so there's no preset track splits as one finds when ripping a CD.

And I'm recording into uncompressed .wav files.

MC10 automatically inserts track splits when it senses silence on the LP -- the silence between songs.  I'm just wondering if we can manually tweak what MC10 does for us.  

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:34:38 am »

I've never had much luck with any software that tries to detect track splits there is always something to confuse it!

To record LP's, cassettes, etc I use CDWave.  it can do the split automatically but if you don't get the right results you can manually enter the split points.

I then import the split waves into MC and covert to APE.

I also use Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Auditron) to get rid of the clicks, pops and hiss.

Here's the link to CDWave: http://www.cdwave.com

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 11:30:06 pm »

Many thanks, but this boy's a computerphobe with a maxed-out laptop who'd prefer to dance with the date he brought to the party:

MC10.

The iTunes software's already provided me with a work-around, but it's annoying to have 8) intro 9) intro 10) intro 11) SONG!

Any James River people out there?

Can I get the program to ignore a track split that the auto-split option put into a LP's recording?

IanG

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 02:36:37 am »

MC10 automatically inserts track splits when it senses silence on the LP -- the silence between songs.  I'm just wondering if we can manually tweak what MC10 does for us.  

You could have a play with the Maximum gap level and  Minimum gap between tracks.  I ripped some LPs recently, but ended up using RIPVinyl as it has an indicator to show how loud the gap between tracks is.

Ian G.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 01:58:03 pm »

Also, I anticipate that once I move to classical recording, I'll need to know how to manually add a split.  Can you do that?
Yes, as long as you do it while you're recording. Just disable the auto track splitting, then listen while it's recording and click the "Split Track" button whenever you want to start a new track.
There's no simple way to add track splits after the recording is finished.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Piranhahaha

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 04:20:35 pm »

Aha!  I knew there had to be a way -- thanks.

Is there a way to remove a split?

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:06:20 am »

No easy way to remove a split. Sorry.
You could use Media Editor to cut and paste one track onto the end of another track.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up