INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't encode rips to "Uncompressed Wave" files.  (Read 1874 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can't encode rips to "Uncompressed Wave" files.
« on: August 02, 2004, 10:39:08 pm »

Ripping CDs to Uncompressed Wave isn't working with 150, 153, or 154.  When I try it, it says "failed" in the status column after each track.  When the rip finishes it says "complete" in the Action Window, and the "Secure Report" says 100% for the tracks.  A new folder IS created for the new album, but there are no files in it, and the "recently ripped" smartlist shows no new files.

If I switch to a different encoding format (mp3, WMA, etc.) it works fine -- the tracks are on the hard drive and added to the library.  When the encoder is set to Wave, however, it doesn't work.

I just tried this on a second system and I get the exact same results, so it's not specific to a certain system.  I also tried more than one CD with the same results.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

JohnT

Re:Can't encode rips to "Uncompressed Wave" files.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:38:54 am »

I can't reproduce this here. Please give your specific rip settings and post your system info here.

1. temporary file location
2. output file location
3. check mark settings on Encoding options page
4. option settings on Devices page
5. advanced ripping settings

Anything unusual about your temp file or output file locations?

Thanks!
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 05:02:49 pm »

1. temporary file location

This is slightly different on each system I tried, but both systems use MC's default.  On this system it's C:\Documents and Settings\Suzi\My Documents\My Music\Temp\

2. output file location

This is different on each system, but here it's D:\Audio Library\.  The other system uses MC's default.

3. check mark settings on Encoding options page

I tried it both with NOTHING checked, as well as with "Delete temp wave files when encoding finished" checked (which is my "normal" setting.)

4. option settings on Devices page

The following ARE checked:

Use digital playback
Enable online CD lookup
Analyze audio during ripping
Get cover art from internet after ripping

Media insertion action are all at "Nothing."

5. advanced ripping settings

mode: Secure
speed: Max
offset: 0

All three "Auto Rip CD Database lookup options" ARE checked.

"Overwrite existing files" IS checked.

Encode on-the-fly is NOT checked, and the three options below it are all at "1."

I dont' think there is anything unusual about any locations -- the "temp" location is the default one on each system, and the output location is the default on the second system.

As I mentioned, other encode formats don't have this problem -- I rip to mp3 all the time with no problems, and I tried a couple encode formats which worked fine.  It's only the "Uncompressed wave" format that's giving me problems, and as I mentioned, I get the exact same results on two separate systems using different CDs.

The only similarity between both systems is that they both use a Plextor Premium CDRW drive.  Other than this, they're pretty different -- one is a dual P3 1Gig, the other a P4 2.5.  One is XP, the other is Win2K.

Thanks again for any help -- I really want to rip some waves, but this one has me stumped.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:09:16 pm »

I just checked MC's temporary file location, and on one of my systems, two of about 5 songs I was attempting to rip to wave are still there.  On the other system, this folder is empty.  Both system did correctly make the artist and album folder, but no files were placed there.

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 05:35:05 pm »

Ripping CDs to Uncompressed Wave isn't working with 150, 153, or 154.

Have you tried to reinstall 149? If the problem disappears then something has changed in MC. I don't have that problem with 149. Maybe I try a newer build someday. I have become cautious after 148 chopped my files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 05:20:06 am »

I haven't gone back to 149 yet.  I went back and forth between version so many times recently (when some iPod issues were being fixed) that I was hoping this wouldn't be necessary.  Given that two completely different systems give me the exact same issue, I figured it was most likely MC.  I'll go ahead and try 149 if nobody else can repeat the problem soon.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 12:05:11 pm »

149 does the same thing, but I found the key to the problem, which is the "Overwrite files that have the same name" option in the "Advanced Ripping settings" of the "Devices" page.  If this option is checked, the wave encodes fail.  If I uncheck this option, everything works -- I can rip and encode to wave with no problems.  The issue follows this setting.

I'll put this on the bug report page.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 04:24:40 am »

John T.,

Could you confirm that the "Overwrite files that have the same name" option causes wave encodes to fail?  This is the case on my systems, but I'm not sure if you saw this information yet.

Thanks,

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 06:28:06 am »

I can confirm. When the "Overwrite existing files that have the same name" is ticked temporally wave files are deleted as usual, but they are not moved to the destination folder, which stays empty. When I tick it off ripping to wave format works again. I tried this with rather old MC v.10.0.139 on my office PC, so it is not a new bug.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 07:49:04 am »

Thanks for confirming this Alex.  I guess this combination of settings (wave encode plus "overwrite") hasn't come up in a while.

Larry

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 01:47:42 pm »

Please try the next build (10.0.158 or greater). The bug should be fixed.

Thanks for reporting all the details.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up