INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning Probs (I've searched the forum)  (Read 1679 times)

markballou

Burning Probs (I've searched the forum)
« on: November 05, 2002, 09:46:25 pm »

Hey there. Please take some time reading this if you think you can help. I've provided a complete diary of the troubleshooting steps I've taken:

I installed WIN XP PRO last month and ran into some problems burning CDs.

Data CDs seem to burn fine, but MP3 to standard audio CD locks after the lead in. I've read extensively on solutions offered here and on other sites. ASPI, AutoInsert, etc., none of them seem to fix the issue.

Neither MJ, Nero, nor Media Player will work.

With MJ the burn locks after the lead in, with MP the burn failes after partially complete, and Nero locks after the lead in as well.

After trying everything I could, I finally decided to use a system restore to an earlier time, pre-Nero & before changing MJ settings.

Of interest: I went with all defaults, no special ASPI stuff or anything.  

The restore was from a time when everything was at default status. Anyway, I then installed Nero and all was well for a few days.

I installed a program called Diskeeper, a defrag app that let's you schedule defrags.  

Shortly thereafter I went in to check and see if the User Account I set up for my fiance was running OK. I logged in and discovered that MJ wasn't working in there; all the right files (mp3s, etc) were associated with it, but it couldn't find MJ's EXE.

Don't know why that was, I thought maybe it had something  to do with user account being set as a "Limited" type. Checking the account back to "Administrator" didn't help so I reinstalled MJ8. I just used the MJ8 EXE that I had, not thinking that it wasn't the newest version. After that, MJ worked fine for playing files in her user account. So, I logged off and went back to my account and thought I should probably test to make sure it was still burning fine. MJ prompted me to install an ASPI layer. (I probably shouldn't have done anything until I had manually upgraded to 388, but I didn't.) Anyway, the ASPI layer does it's install and prompts a reboot. When I get back in I test using Nero's Info Tool and see that the System ASPI layer is considered corrupt. The Nero ASPI layer was fine. I go into MJ to see if it will burn and it prompts me to install the ASPI layer again. After a few cycles of doing this and rebooting I realize the ASPI layer isn't going to take. Then I think to myself, aaah, maybe I'm running an older version. I didn't remember the ASPI prompting screen in the new version. So, I did an upgrade and brought MJ to 388. Even still none of my software would burn. So I search out the ASPI files installed by MJ in the WIN folder and pull them out, assuming they are causing a conflict. No help. I figure I've done about all I can. From my previous tests, I know that all the other suggestions offered didn't solve the issue before, so it's unlikely they will now. The behavior is identical. So I decide to go with the one thing that worked last time, a sys restore. Great, right? Wrong. For some reason all my restores prior to installing Diskeeper are corrupt! I can't use a single one. So, now I'm totally stuck. I tried uninstalling Diskeeper to see if it was screwing with my restores. No go. To see if I can get the machine to burn I tried reinstalling Nero. No go. I tried uninstalling Nero and MJ and just installing MJ on it's own. No go. Without sys restore as an option, the only thing I can think of doing at this point is reinstall XP and start all over again. I just don't want to do that. My software environment set up was almost finished!

Does anyone have any suggestions??? I don't know what to do. Any way that I can get these restores back? Any other way that I can figure out what is causing Audio Disk burning to lock? If I can figure that out I may not need to access my old restores. Current restores do work. Also, keep in mind, data disks burn fine.

I've got a serious coaster collection going on here. I could really use some help.

PS- Problems I had previously posted on regarding my old 98 setup don't seem to have carried over to XP. I just have this new burning problem....

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Duron 700 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 377 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
TDK VeloCD 401248

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

fordsfolly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Burning Probs (I've searched the forum)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 01:38:22 am »

A pal I know hasd had the same troubles burning with xp, the problem is the inbuild burner in xp, no way around it as far as i know, bets thing is to use xp burn program, or dual boot back to ME or 98,

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 02:57:49 am »

Please post your system info (from the help menu in MJ). Did you try selecting "use internal aspi" in MJ? Did you try the generic driver in MJ? If it works in data mode but not audio, it sounds like a problem burning DAO (disk at once), since MJ and Nero normally use TAO (track at once) for data disks although MJ's generic burner uses TAO for audio as well.
If "use internal aspi" doesn't work, try unchecking it and run Adaptec's aspichk.exe program to see if your system aspi layer is ok.
Maybe check for latest driver for your CD burner. Which CD burner do you have?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

markballou

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 02:15:58 pm »

System info is above.

I also included the type of burner I have, TDK VeloCD 40/12/48.

I tried all your suggestions the first time around with no luck. Any others?

What is the difference between the ASPI layer provided by Nero and the one by Adaptec?

markballou

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 03:16:45 pm »

Oh dear Lord, I'm giddy.   ;D

I just uninstalled everything but MP (Nero & MJ), just to see if I could get MP to at least work, ya know? No dice. Still crapped out before the burn was complete. So, I load up Adaptecs most recent ASPI layer, AGAIN. Now, I think this is where I got screwed up last time. When I loaded the ASPI layer, Nero's Info Tool showed the system layer as corrupted. So I assumed it was screwed up. This time, I just ignored that and went on. I then ran ASPICHK.EXE to see what that came up with: ASPI32.SYS V4.71.2 & WNASPI32.DLL V4.71.2 were installed but no WOWPOST.EXE or WINASPI.DLL. Since ASPICHK doesn't tell you wether or not your installation is correct (from what I can tell), or good for that matter, I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and moved on. I rebooted and then went into MP and...

burned myself a CD baby! Wahooo! I'm doing a dance! Look at me!!! Shake it... baby shake it....

Let's say I'll be making a restore point...ohhhh, right about now.

Now let's see how installing MJ goes. I'll report back.

Hope I've been at least entertaining.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2002, 04:50:45 pm »

>>Since ASPICHK doesn't tell you wether or not your installation is correct

Your right...but after the ASPI install, it's kind of inferred by asking you to reboot. You should be home free now.

FYI on Nero vs Adaptec: Nero stuff is proprietary (as you found out), Adaptec's ASPI is general purpose and meant to be compatible with ALL apps. Out of all the posts I've read that mentioned Nero, only one was positive.

Xenno

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 09:20:48 pm »

I was having the same problem but with  a Yamaha 3200e writer. I kept getting calibration errors, however if I used the windows burner it went fine.   Also if i used the burner in Musicmatch it worked even better.. Media Jbx would just sit there.

Later found out that all these writing programs fight over control and the first in locks the others out at least for that cd.

Disable burncd in services and that takes care of windows burner, then deal with auto play options for the rest.

It's interesting that Media Jbox did not even choose to compete for burniong rights. I think it just sat back siipping cham-agne and resting.  I never got Nero to work or Mj for that mtter regarding burning a cd.

It's all very strange, but the newer xp computers sort of do away with the need for a burning program, incd and all that other complicated crap out there seems unnecessary. at the end of the day they can't live up to the total product delivery MJ gives.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2002, 06:24:20 am »

I was having the same problem but with  a Yamaha 3200e writer. I kept getting calibration errors, however if I used the windows burner it went fine.   Also if i used the burner in Musicmatch it worked even better.. Media Jbx would just sit there.

Later found out that all these writing programs fight over control and the first in locks the others out at least for that cd.

Disable burncd in services and that takes care of windows burner, then deal with auto play options for the rest.

It's interesting that Media Jbox did not even choose to compete for burniong rights. I think it just sat back siipping cham-agne and resting.  I never got Nero to work or Mj for that mtter regarding burning a cd.

It's all very strange, but the newer xp computers sort of do away with the need for a burning program, incd and all that other complicated crap out there seems unnecessary. at the end of the day they can't live up to the total product delivery MJ gives.

I'm running XP with IMAPI (xp's burning service) enabled and the CD burner has recording enabled, yet MJ can still burn fine to the drive. Maybe it's dependent on your drive model or some other system setting. It makes sense that if you have begun a burn session with other software, MJ may be locked out of being able to "see" the burner, but otherwise it should not have a problem.
When you disabled the IMAPI service, did MJ burn ok?

Thanks for any more info you can provide.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

markballou

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 03:36:56 pm »

:'(

Remember how I could get MP to burn a CD just fine after I uninstalled MJ, Nero and installed Adaptecs ASPI layer? Well, seeing that was working, I made a restore point and today I installed MJ. Now I can't get anything to burn an audio CD, neither MJ or MP. I also rebooted between each attempt just to make sure. What is it that installing MJ does that scews up the burning process? I tried MJ with it's defaults and then I tried unchecking the Internal ASPI box. I assume that means that MJ will use the Adaptec ASPI layer that I installed and not it's own ASPI layer. No go. Like I said MP was burning just fine on its own untill I installed MJ again. This is killing me.

I'm going to go back to my restore point when MP would burn, then rather than installing MJ, I'm going to install Nero and see if that will burn.
:-/

markballou

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 05:07:59 pm »

Well Nero crapped out as well. It locked so hard I had to reboot. Tried MP before testing the install of Nero and that wouldn't burn either. So, it looks like all I've got is this restore point that lets me use MP as a burner. Don't know what the heck is going on. It's not like this machine is loaded with junk either. It's a new install of XP with only Office and a few other non-music related apps. That's it. It's not like there's a whole lot of room for conflict. Only option I see available, if I want to use MJ and still burn, is to reformat and start all over again, praying for the best. Any words of wisdom before I give up??
Pages: [1]   Go Up