INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equalizer Settings  (Read 1338 times)

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
Equalizer Settings
« on: August 13, 2004, 05:26:05 pm »

Is there a way to download more equalizer presets?  Either from JRiver or someone who knows what they're doing?
Failing that, is there a website with band settings?

I've noticed that a lot of my music sounds better with the proper EQ settings, I just have no idea what "proper" is for a lot of stuff...

Thanks guys :)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:Equalizer Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:15:31 pm »

Hi Seviien;

Equalizer settings are dependent on a lot of things...

* The response curve of your speakers.

*  The response curve of your listening environment (the room you are listening to the music in).

* Room response has a lot to do with curves... how dead or alive it is.  A dead room will have a lot of high frequency drop off.  Carpet, drapes, and heavy cloth-covered over-stuffed furniture can really kill a room (acoustically speaking).  On the other hand a very live or overly bright room will have too much high frequency content as it reflects much of the sound wave from the hard surfaces.

There is no correct equalization curve.  Yes there will be one for your equipment & listening environment but in order to get that perfect curve a spectrum analysis has to be done using pink noise, a calibrated microphone and a spectrum analyzer to provide correction factors (in Db or Octave correction settings) for your environment.

If you change speakers (or move your current speakers to a new location), buy new furniture, of redecorate you listening environment, the whole environment has to be tested again & the new octave settings applied to the equalizer.

You can buy all in one audio test equipment that is designed for the do-it-your-selfer at home.  It will often look just like another piece of hi-fi gear except it comes with a calibrated microphone and is designed for just that one task.  It will also have 1, 1/2, or 1/3 Octave correction sliders to make the corrections. Some of the more expensive units will actiually make the corrections automatically.  Often they will also feature a real light show with moving Octave LED's moving up and down as the music plays.  Many units have 10 or more rows flashing of LED's and can be pretty flashy. You can spend anywhere from a few hundred to well over $1,000.00 (or much more) for it.

Is it worth it, in same cases very much so as it will correct for all kinds of problems with the final reproduction curve.  The A-B sound difference is often very striking.

Hope this helps (a little).

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:25:27 am »

I appreciate the insight, but i'm not looking to go quite that fine (at least not yet...)

The lovely young lady who lives on the floor below me has been dubbed by my buddies and i as "The Complainer."  Seeing as how she's so low key and mellow (sarcasm), the low end of my music is more or less nonexistant at the momement.  I essentially have to shut off my sub, so i'm never going to get ideal reproduction.

I was more thinking of getting things such that the EQ settings were specific to a given genre.  I was going to leverage nila's plugin to do this, but the default EQ presets in MC were a little lacking.  I was wondering if there was any way to import more presets, like the EQF files found in winamp.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 04:25:00 am »

General equalization curves by music genre are purely subjective for each listener...

* One person wants heavy bass.
* Another want brighter highs.
* Yet another wants more mid-range.

The general curves built into MC are just that, general, and are not meant to be precise as they will never match each person's preferences let alone equipment and environmental conditions.

I would suggest you create your own curves in MC's DSP Studio (starting with one that is already closest to your liking) and save it.  That way you can always come back to it later.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 08:12:54 pm »

Chech out KingSparta's plugins:

Looking For Free Lyrics Or MC9 & MC10 Plug-Ins?  http://www.spartasoft.com  
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 04:12:15 am »

Have you tried the DirectX host plug-in and RGC High Frequency Stimulator? That helps audio quality a lot in my system.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up