INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should MC10 behave like this?  (Read 1940 times)

JONCAT

Should MC10 behave like this?
« on: August 21, 2004, 05:38:34 am »

setup:

Audio (main tree) has view scheme edited to File Location & Artist. Adding artist is imperitive because if you have Various Artist albums, those artist's song's won't get pulled into the ALL list but will be stuck in the Various Artist albums.

Add to that a new view scheme that has Artist & also Album.

Now I have that one location of files, my 250GB G: drive that has one genre, viewed with the artist & album window style, and the pane that show below whatever is selected above..

Two things though....

I had some playlists of other types of music and re-built them. Now those artists and files are added to my main AUDIO list that I just described above. Should MC do this? I can rebuild it again defining that one location G: but will I have to rebuild me library everytime I want to add some playlist? Shouldn't the settings I have defined make it lock out any other files/artists from being added?

and .....I don't think you can add another file location...this is ESSENTIAL!!!! Media Center is great, but it either needs to allow this or allow playlists to be viewed with artist/album views if MC is to be geared to large collections and offer true customizing of archiving, this really needs to be considered. What happens when I add the next HD to my system, I am back at square one. Media Center is #1 for me now but I hate to see this point get overlooked because the whole concept od MC's functionality gets lost without this option  

feedback please.
Jon

Dragyn

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Should MC10 behave like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 06:52:53 am »

sorry. no idea what you're talking about.

in short, just say what you want mc to do and I'm sure there will be a solution.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 06:57:48 am »

yes, very confusing
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 11:08:26 am »

Sorry guys, I'll try to elaborate but it seems to me pretty straighforward ( but I'm on this end ;D).

In the tree pane on the left your main tree directory for audio is called AUDIO.

Right clicking on this, and editing the view scheme to point to one loaction. Then you add artist (for reasons mentioned).

Then add NEW view scheme below that. This is to avoid having:

File Location pane -----    Artist pane ------------  Album pane

in one view....it's a waste of space.

Thus, you create a new one for Artist & Album; now I have my particular file location viewed in panes e.g. Artist ------ Album

The whole point of doing this is to avoid ALL kinds of audio to be added to this view where you can use the panes. That's all I am trying to accomplish here. If you don't do this ...as soon as you add a playlist the files/info/artist/album start showing up in this view.

You can't use panes in playlists so I am creating a view scheme for this type of genre because that's all I want to see. (has this changed in MC11?)

The problem is that I started rebuilding my playlists and now these file are showing up in my defined view scheme which states

File Location G:
Artist

The files that are popping into my list are on a totally different drive....d: !!!!!

It has to have something to do with this all being done "under" the AUDIO tree.

Initially I tried to creat a playlist of all my music on G: but you can't use panes.....that is/was the entire problem. Maybe I need a newer version of MC10 or will try 11.

Jon

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 11:11:43 am »

The other thing I was asking about was can one define more than one file location for a view scheme?

Jon

Dragyn

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 11:13:33 am »

you need to use [Filename]="C:\Whatever" in the search criteria in the view scheme properties, not just the filename (path) pane.

you can define a search for more than one location using OR

[Filename]=[C:\" OR [Filename]=[D:\"

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 11:17:40 am »

Another thing to add (goes with above post) is that you do not have to add a filename (loc) pane to just show files in the scheme. You can just use the search box instead. Then you can have your Artist/Album stuff in the main scheme if you wish.

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 06:49:16 am »

Thanks buddy...I'll have to check this out tonight when I get h ome. MUCH appreciated.
I was looking through the hlep file...is theresome other source of documentation of MC?

Jon

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:37:05 pm »

Okay, I think we're talking about the same thing....here's a link to a screenshot.

When I define Filename = F:\XXXXX it provides me with a pane for F:\ (btw I am editing the view scheme for audio here)

That's why I add a new view scheme just below that so I can use Artist  /   Album panes.

Problem is when I make a playlist ...the playlist artist & files are showing up in my F:/  stuff.

The other problem is, you have to add that Album Artist view because if you don't none of your Various Artists actually make it into the Artist pane...look at the numbers of artists in the screenshots. The Various Artists all sit as ripped various artist cd's and don't get read as tracks, artists, etc.

Here's screenshots:

www.catuccio.net/1.jpg
www.catuccio.net/2.jpg
www.catuccio.net/2_view_scheme_properties.jpg
www.catuccio.net/1_view_scheme_properties.jpg

here's a shot of how the playlist made jumps into my F:\ defined scheme

www.catuccio.net/playlist built seperately.jpg

I just also tried adding a new view scheme below audio and using the Filename = f:\ rule...then adding another view scheme below that and doing artist / album

doesn't work ...the F:\ list doesn't have all the artists and albums but also doesn't show the playlists files that were added. As soon as you define artist and album it looks EVERYWHERE.

Jon

Dragyn

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 10:43:00 pm »

ok...what I meant was use F:\ in the search box.

from: http://www.catuccio.net/1_view_scheme_properties.jpg

step 4: type in [Filename]=[F:\"

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 10:54:52 pm »

HOT DAMN! Your're the man

What was throwing me was the little drop down caret thing...I didn't know you could type in there and I never even noticed it said SEARCH.

Looks good....any way to have the (Multiple Artists) come back up underneath ALL in the artists pane?

thanks!

Jon

Dragyn

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 11:03:35 pm »

Hmm... Instead of Artist use Album Artist (auto) ?

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 12:31:23 am »

Yes, but you have to create another view. No big deal....I bow to you ....thanks for helping me; I will return the favor if I can!

Jon

Dragyn

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 09:17:57 pm »

please explain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up