INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Views for separate libraries (music and photos)  (Read 1689 times)

Steef_V.

• Junior Woodchuck
Views for separate libraries (music and photos)
« on: August 23, 2004, 04:55:50 pm »

This must have been discussed before but I can't find it....

What I have is 2 libraries, one for music, and one for photos. I would like my music library to have a "detailed" view for artist, name, album, etc. The photos library would have a "thumbnail" view OR a "detailed" view with fields like places, people, events, etc.

But when I switch from music to photo library, the view remains "music oriented". And vice versa.

I think I'm missing something here.....  HOW do I keep the right view with the right library?

Thanks for any advice!
Steef.

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Views for separate libraries (music and photos)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 05:10:15 pm »

Talk about a blast from the past.  I remember this being discussed before a long time ago (in the days of MC 9.0).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem is that the views are stored in your registry on a "per user" basis, not on a "per library" basis.

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense to an outsider (like us) not to store the information in the actual library, but I guess JRiver had a reason for doing it this way.  8)  (They are godly in my mind, so I try not to question them too often. :))  Hopefully, they'll fix it (if they haven't already) in MC 11.

Oh, and again, it's been a while, so I may be remembering a thread that is only a product of my imagination, not reality.  Please, someone correct me if I'm mistaken about this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:10:28 pm »

View settings are user-account specific, not library specific.

Using one library and media modes may give you a smoother user experience.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 05:17:17 pm »

The only reason you need more than one library is when you need a subset of it.
I have only a subset of my entire library copied over to my notebook.

The main problem with more than one library is that you can only open one at the time, so you switch library all the time. I dad more libraries before, but there is no real need for it.

Omni

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 05:22:37 pm »

Not to hijack a thread, but it's sort of related and would also solve both mine and Steef's problem in this regard.

Will it ever be possible (in MC11, 12, ...) to view/manipulate two or more libraries concurrently?  That would be cool, though I imagine it might be a nightmare to implement.

Omni

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 05:25:37 pm »

That's not true.   ;)  One example for me, and judging from recent posts, for others, too, is that yearly "Christmas" music collection.   That is completely independent and separate from my main library.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 05:29:35 pm »

That's not true.   ;)  One example for me, and judging from recent posts, for others, too, is that yearly "Christmas" music collection.   That is completely independent and separate from my main library.

You can make this with view schemes now.  They can have custom searches that include / exclude a playlist or category.

You could also use the Access Filter feature to hide certain files during the off-season.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Omni

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 05:46:45 pm »

You can make this with view schemes now.  They can have custom searches that include / exclude a playlist or category.

Yeah, I know, but I don't like that.  I mean, having to specifically type in an exclusion filter parameter in every generic-type smartlist I try to create is a pain and an annoyance. ;)

You could also use the Access Filter feature to hide certain files during the off-season.

Now this sounds promising.  :)  I've never heard of a "Access Filter" feature.  Is that something new in MC11?

Steef_V.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 03:19:50 pm »

To get back to my original question:
What Matt said:
View settings are user-account specific, not library specific.

Using one library and media modes may give you a smoother user experience.

....had not occurred to me before. Basically it's even more efficient to work with only one library, combined with media modes Audio and Images. I tested this way of working and it suits my needs.

Thanks, Matt, for pointing this out!

Steef.
Pages: [1]   Go Up