INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Many times asked, never realised!  (Read 2016 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Many times asked, never realised!
« on: August 24, 2004, 04:03:32 pm »

Although J River implements many user requests into their product, there are a number of things that were never done and sometimes we never heard any real reason for not doing so, sometimes reasons are given, but sometimes one was wondering why something was not going to happen.

I will list a few (some are mine, some are from others that I rememember over the last 3 years):

1. Improvement of Web Radio. Would be nice if Web radio would be implemented as a view scheme similar to Audio, Images, Video, Documents. Web Radio does not seem to have been ever touched since MJ7/8 days.

2. Improvement of TV Tuner. Would be also nice if TV Tuner would be implemented as a view scheme, so every media type could be defined through view schemes and the whole would be much more consistent

3. User selectable categories in Tag Info Window (that was asked over and over again at MJ8/9 times), ability to create user defined categories or at least categories according to media type. The present categories "General, Extended, File Info, Audio, Display" do not seem very intuitive.

4. Ability to use image database in a more fruitful manner like using images as revolving wallpaper, screensaver, ability to create different screensavers with database content (image+audio), create self-executing exe-files to burn on cd's so that we can make presents to friends.

5. Read-only version of MC to burn on cd together with some content

6. More configuration options for titles in slide shows (size, font, position etc.)

7. Possibility to decorate images with different frames (similar to what many artwork sellers do)

Just remember in this thread things that were asked many times, but never made it! And maybe J River may give some reasons for never have listened in those cases  ;)

bebop

Re:Many times asked, never realised!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 04:20:28 pm »

Have to agree- especially for items 3,4,6,and 7.  

Right now the TV stuff is low on my list of wants, but those image handling things would be soooo very nice.The ability to use the Frame and Edge library of Paintshop or similar programs would be ideal.  I know that I am busily making digital albums of all our numerous boxes of family photos and to be able to put them together using MC  and not having to go to different programs  to put together the DVD would be totally fantastic.  Right now I use Paintshop 4 for the frames and edges, MC to splice audio tracks together  and then Power Producer to make the slideshow and put the audio in.

The ability to have it playable as an SVCD  or DVD is very important for me as not all my family members have computers, but they have DVD players.  If MC could also include the ability to have more than a single audio track with the screenshow, that would eliminate all the splicing of  tracks.

And that's my two cents (canadian).    ;D   Bet

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 07:01:49 pm »

Thanks Jaguu.

1. Improvement of Web Radio. Would be nice if Web radio would be implemented as a view scheme similar to Audio, Images, Video, Documents. Web Radio does not seem to have been ever touched since MJ7/8 days.

Agreed, it could use some love.

2. Improvement of TV Tuner. Would be also nice if TV Tuner would be implemented as a view scheme, so every media type could be defined through view schemes and the whole would be much more consistent

You can create a TV view scheme now.  Just import the TV files then filter on [File Type]=[tvlb].  We don't think pushing this too hard by default makes sense for most users.

3. User selectable categories in Tag Info Window (that was asked over and over again at MJ8/9 times), ability to create user defined categories or at least categories according to media type. The present categories "General, Extended, File Info, Audio, Display" do not seem very intuitive.

You can customize the columns / tag fields to show on a per-view basis.  It's really pretty flexible.

4. Ability to use image database in a more fruitful manner like using images as revolving wallpaper, screensaver, ability to create different screensavers with database content (image+audio), create self-executing exe-files to burn on cd's so that we can make presents to friends.

All would be nice.

5. Read-only version of MC to burn on cd together with some content

You can burn the installer onto CDs if you like.  There's no reason to be afraid of installing MC.

6. More configuration options for titles in slide shows (size, font, position etc.)

What would you like to see?

7. Possibility to decorate images with different frames (similar to what many artwork sellers do)

Could you make a mockup of what you'd like MC to look like in thumb mode?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 08:53:09 pm »

Yeah, I have all these great artworks in my library that I like to play through - it's a shame I couldn't cutomize the slideshow (both in terms of content (i.e. what fields get shown) and presentation.  If we could use standard HTML and CSS (like we can for visualizations), it would be great.

Hmm...  is it possible to create a slide-show type of visualization?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 05:41:52 am »

What would you like to see?

Would like to change title properties during a slide-show in the following way:
1) select font size 2) select font 3) select screen position of title (corners or center of screen) 4) some effects like marquee (title moving from left to right)  5) select duration of title display.

More advanced would be the possibility to configure some display templates (similar to track info tempates for audio. I can imagine that tile view, track info template and possible display template could be combined into one single managable item as they all consists of a combination of html, MC fields and visualisation effects.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 05:51:47 am »

Could you make a mockup of what you'd like MC to look like in thumb mode?

Have a look at this site and how much nicer images look when they are framed:

http://en.easyart.com/scripts/framing/index.ghtml?pid=50531

Play around with the framing tool and try different frame types and colours. That would be a really nice addition that very few image viewers have implemented.

You would be able to select things such as frame type (light/dark wood, metal, gold, silver, coloured, black) and size and colour of the mount space (space between image and frame).

A frame could be a property of a single image, of a slide show or of a particular playlist or smartlist or maybe also a view scheme.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 10:06:14 am »

Here is my list of top most needed items...

* Am still getting the Failed to load JRImage.dll that a lot of users have reported on right after installing MC11.  It still shows even after a Win XP restart as required by some installs of MC; it finally goes away after the second Win XP boot up.

TV Boot up to wrong channel sound...

Each time I boot Win XP, MC will load the TV (as I want) but it will always have the sound from channel 2 no matter which channel the image is actually on.

* If I delete VideoSVideo under the sort button, then re-load the TV, it will then come up with the correct sound for the current channel and will continue to load the correct channel sound for the current Windows session.

* The wrong channel sound only happens after a Windows XP boot.

* Have been having this problem for the last 20 or so builds.

* The ATI TV tuner does not have this problem; it seems to be unique to MC TV.  The ATI TV tuner always boots up to the last channel viewed; MC TV does not (always channel 2 sound for the first loading after booting the computer).

Error Messages...

* Sometimes the TV will not load, a message will pop up saying "Cannot load video capture filter".

* Other times the TV will not load, a message will pop up saying "Preview Graph has not been built" whatever that is.

* I have never seen the "Preview Graph has not been built" message with the ATI TV viewer; this seems to be unique to MC TV.

Crop Edges is not working with ATI's A-I-W 9600 Pro video card...

* When Crop Edges is turned on, all TV becomes very jerky.

* This seems to be a problem with all of the latest versions of ATI's Catalyst video software as it was ok many Catalyst versions back.

I'm trying real hard to be as positive as possible about this but, there are so many long standing problems (for me) with the TV that I have resorted to using the ATI TV software instead of MC TV, it simply works.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

bebop

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:02 am »

That's exactly what I was thinking... looked at the link  the frames are quite similar to the ones in other programs that I have tried (Paintshop 4, ACDC, etc), but would like to see some photo  edges as well  -  doesn't have to get too fancy. I'm not thinking those silly little text baloons or stuff, just those blurred or chalkled ones  that soften the edges (especially for my really old, sepia pics).  Being able to put an autorun on the disc is also a big plus IMO.  Being able to add text, and position it where you want, is also another plus - especially for Opening title pages, menus, etc.  Right now all I use MC's photo abilities for is to organize my stuff into folders.  I'd like to change that.  

bebop

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 11:04:20 am »

I threw an example of what I mean by edges up on my site.  This is a memorial album that I am putting together for a friend  (ps  couldn't get the music up - I'm very new at web stuff  :D)

http://bebop-girl.com/gallery/Kaye

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 11:20:40 am »

Thanks bebop for giving examples of what I was meaning with framing images, whether those are real frames or photo edges as you prefer.

bebop

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 11:54:13 am »

Just noticed that the only real "frame" I used in my example was the wide black one that Kaye had picked out for her opening menu (I'm putting this on DVD for her family, may of which are in Europe).  But I think one can get the idea from your link and mine about having options for different frames and edges to apply to the photo's. I noticed that in other discussions of image handling, people were talking about having different view schemes available for images.  This is also on my wish list, now that I really think about it.  I want to do different things with images, and was at first confused by having to make a mixed playlist if I wanted to have a slideshow with music (still haven't been able to get it just right, but am trying).  making your own smartlists, etc is fine if you are really computer literate and tech minded, but for those of us who are point and go types, it is a little unnerving - a drop down menu, IMO, whould be nice.  But maybe I am in the minority in this.  All I can go by is my own experience and I gave up on the more difficult imaging programs because they lacked simple steps to do what I wanted with the pics.  I spent weeks trying out  various programs such as Photoshop, ACDC, Digital Darkroom, Photo Explosion Deluxe, MySlideshow, Power Producer, Paint Shop Photo Album 4 and the Windows Photostory to name just a few.  I used the free trials where available and bought the ones that didn't offer free trials.  The only ones I Kept are paintshop Photo Album  (it has the frames and edges, but can only make SVCD or data discs) and Power Producer (it allows me to make either an SVCD, DVD, or autorun slideshow but has no photo frames or edges).  Neither allows me to have more than a single track for audio, so I end up splicing stuff together ( which I am not very good at, yet).  Both are extreamly simple user friendly  interfaces, which was the real deciding factor for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up