INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Mobile Phones prices on USA  (Read 1769 times)

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
OT - Mobile Phones prices on USA
« on: August 25, 2004, 06:01:57 pm »

This topic is way OT but i'm trying to buy a new phone and the prices on Portugal are  :o so i ask you how much is mobiles phones on USA. Mobile phones with triband and with 65.000 colors or more.

Thanks in advance
Made in Portugal

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:OT - Mobile Phones prices on USA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 06:38:40 pm »

You can even get it free in US and Canada, but you also get married with the operator.

They have several different network types. GSM network is still a rarity and works only in big cities. Cell phones are usually assigned with the operator, I think. They don't usually have European type GSM phones with user changeable SIM cards (Here in Europe you can change operator by simply changing a stamp sized SIM card).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 06:45:46 pm »

You can even get it free in US and Canada, but you also get married with the operator.

They have several different network types. GSM network is still a rarity and works only in big cities. Cell phones are usually assigned with the operator, I think. They don't usually have European type GSM phones with user changeable SIM cards (Here in Europe you can change operator by simply changing a stamp sized SIM card).

There are lots of tri-band GSM phones for sale in the U.S.  I don't think it's correct to say that GSM networks are a rarity - with the almost complete merger of Cingular and AT&T Wireless, thier GSM network will have more customers than the biggest CDMA operator (VerizonWireless).  Without a doubt, though, a lot of the handset cost is subsidized by the operator - meaning that they'll lock you into a one- or two-year contract in order to get the good price.

The only fear of buying a GSM handset from the U.S. is if it has been locked by the operator - the same thing that is now being done in Europe on occasion.  It's best to verify that the phone is unlocked, or see if it can be easily unlocked (which might void the warranty).

My suggestion is to buy a handset from eBay.  I don't think you'll beat the prices anywhere - especially if you're OK with a used handset.  Again, make sure the phone isn't locked or can be easily unlocked.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 06:53:14 pm »

So things have changed a lot since my last visit almost three years ago. Then some cell phone dealers were surprised to see my tri-band GSM phone with a user changeable SIM card.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:28:43 am »

Here we buy lock phones to a specific network but we can buy them also unlock, in USA you have i think also siemens phones but they change the hardware to work on your frequencies, EX: In USA there are a model Siemens m56 (Dual Band) and we in Europe have Siemens M55, they are the same model but here is tri-band
Made in Portugal

ChicoSelfs

Made in Portugal
Pages: [1]   Go Up