Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flac  (Read 1580 times)

daven

flac
« on: November 04, 2002, 07:41:11 pm »

this is still bothering me...
why was flac support dropped from mj?  i hope it is not because matt is trying to stifle the competition.  i don't know enough about flac and ape to decide which i'd like to settle on, but i am all about choice.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: flac
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 07:52:42 pm »

I'm not Matt...so I don't want to put words in his mouth...

But..."Media Jukebox - The One That Plays It All" still applies, although somewhat indirectly (for some formats) through 3rd party plug-in's (such as the WinAmp FLAC plug-in's). That should (I hope) continue on in v9 and future versions. WinAmp will be around for a long time (rapidly becoming a cult favorite)...and so will the plug-in's.

Xenno

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 08:01:45 pm »

You can already use FLAC (both encoding and decoding) in MJ.  For playback, use the Winamp 2 plugins and for encoding, use the external encoder plugin.

i am all about choice

better not vote Republican tomorrow  :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

daven

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 08:29:12 pm »

i installed the winamp plugin but it would freeze when playing a file.  i'll give it another try.  i'm still not sure why the flac link was removed from mj's plugin download page.  a link and instructions on how to use the winamp plugin would be helpful for us ignorami.

better not vote Republican tomorrow

don't worry...i'll be voting green  8)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 08:41:41 pm »

We don't really push any Winamp 2 plugins because they can't offer streamlined tagging support in MJ.

If you're a FLAC fan, your best bet is to contact the author and request he write a dedicated MJ plugin.  The spec is freely available.

We have no plans to develop our own FLAC plugin for MJ unless the format becomes more popular or more efficient.

Thanks daven.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 08:48:21 pm »

I trust you're using the 2.xx version?

Although I always promote the "openness" of MJ, I haven't tried a 3rd party plug-in such as WinAmp 2.xx FLAC. But I will this week, so I'll know what the heck I'm talkin' about.

Xenno

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 09:12:30 pm »

i am all about choice

better not vote Republican tomorrow  :P

Rule #1: Never mix politics with your business--you stand to lose about half your customers.

Rule #2: Never dip your pen in the company ink.  (JimH??)

<chuckle>

Scronch

daven

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 09:07:42 am »

If you're a FLAC fan, your best bet is to contact the author and request he write a dedicated MJ plugin.  The spec is freely available.

not to beat a dead horse, but aren't all the other plugins-- mp3, ogg, wm-- written by mj programmers and not the original authors?  i have yet to try flac, because i do all my ripping with mj, but it seems somewhat popular and deserving of mj support.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2002, 06:30:51 pm »

better not vote Republican tomorrow   :P

Matt, I don't think many of the country's voters listened to you.  In fact, I don't think many of the Minnesota voters listened to you.  And to think, you could've had Walter Mondale.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up