INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have custom MC10 field readable by WMP10, also ratings  (Read 1433 times)

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
Have custom MC10 field readable by WMP10, also ratings
« on: August 27, 2004, 11:37:31 pm »

I added a field called "Genres" to MC10 so I could tag more than one genre per track.

Now I'd like this readable in Windows Media Player 10.

Is this possible?  And if so, how?

Also, is it possible to have my MC ratings readable by WMP?

CDvd

• World Citizen
Re:Have custom MC10 field readable by WMP10, also ratings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 12:46:03 am »

From what I've heard it's not possible.

MC writes his "privates" fields (like Rating or the custom tag you've created) in a proprietary format inside the files.

I hope someone will correct me if it's not the case.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 02:24:35 am »

I added a field called "Genres" to MC10 so I could tag more than one genre per track.

Now I'd like this readable in Windows Media Player 10.

I'm curious why you want to use windows media player 10 when you could use MC ? Is there something WMP does better than MC. If so please share, you never know it just might get put into v11.

How about the converse of what you asked, would custom fields created in WMP10 be viewable in MC10 ?

I doubt its possible unless you copy data from custom fields into a tag that both players understand and then move/copy to the desired field in the other player.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 02:48:08 am »

I'm curious why you want to use windows media player 10 when you could use MC ? Is there something WMP does better than MC. If so please share, you never know it just might get put into v11.

Windows media player 10 support multiple genres and multiples artits per track:

The song "Family Portrait / Pink / Pop;Rock" can be found on both Pop and Rock Views

The song "As / George Michael; Mary J Blige" can be found when both viewing  George Michael and Mary J Blige songs

In MC if you tag the first song as Pop;Rock, you will just create a new Genre "Pop;Rock"
The same applies for the second song : you will create a new artist which has for name "George Michael; Mary J Blige"
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 02:56:17 am »

Windows media player 10 support multiple genres and multiples artits per track

You would need to create custom fields that has list abilty for both genre & Artist.

The question is when you tag these fields in WMP10, can MC see them as they would appear in WMP10 ?

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 02:58:53 am »

Thanks for the responses.

Well, here's the deal; there are many reasons why I like MC better than WMP... MUCH faster searching, faster editing, and so on.

However, WMP currently has a killer advantage over MC for me -- strong integration with Napster.

- Whether I'm playing one of my CDs, an MP3 I've ripped from a CD, or a Napster stream, WMP displays very interesting artist/album info via Napster (which, I believe, uses AllMusic.com)

- With a few clicks, I can instantly add other tunes by that artist to my playlists and/or download songs by that artist or similar artists.

- Any Napster streams that I add to my Napster account from ANY computer (home, work, friend's house) are reflected in my WMP library no matter where I am.

By the way CDvd, thanks for the info on the tags!  What I'd be curious to know is whether such stuff is compatible with any other players, or whether all other players would be confused by such multi-tags.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 03:18:08 am »

However, WMP currently has a killer advantage over MC for me -- strong integration with Napster.
This is something JRiver is probably looking at amongst other suppliers. What might stop them is non-compete clauses (if any ?) that might be in the agreement between Napster & M$. M$ is notorious for such tactics.

By the way CDvd, thanks for the info on the tags!  What I'd be curious to know is whether such stuff is compatible with any other players, or whether all other players would be confused by such multi-tags.

Exactly, my bet is no. (CDvd ?) The standard ID3V1 & 2 tags to my knowledge dont support list fields. This would have to be aded as a custom field by any player that implements it.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 03:31:23 am »

Windows media player 10 support multiple genres and multiples artits per track

You would need to create custom fields that has list abilty for both genre & Artist.

hit_ny...
Let's say I create the correct "Genres" Field... it's empty!
Do I need to fill it in for all files of my library (+3000 files)?
Ok, let's say I know there's a plugin that can copy a field to another (Kings sparta has made one...), will I need to run it every time I rip a CD or import new files???
[edit: MC already have a copy fields, don't know I can have missed it! ]
hum... WMP wins on the simplicity in this precise case.
The problem is that I will not return to it. (once you've tryed MC you cannot return to anything else! :))

The question is when you tag these fields in WMP10, can MC see them as they would appear in WMP10 ?

Not at all. I don't know how windows media player handles tags but in MC "Pop;Rock" turns into "Pop"!
WMP seems to write the first Genre (here "Pop") in file's ID3 tag and keep the others (here "Rock") in its library.
 :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 03:51:01 am »

Let's say I create the correct "Genres" Field... it's empty!
Do I need to fill it in for all files of my library (+3000 files)?

Are you aware of mass-tagging ?

single click on the field you want. Press F2 then escape.
Then select all the files in which you want to make a change. I use Ctrl+A, it helps if you make a smartlist that will pick only the files you want so u can CTRL+A quickly.
Make sure all the files you selected are still highlighted
Press F2, Make the change in the field of that first file.
Press Return, it will update the same field for all the files you selected in one go.

This is mass tagging, its very powerful. If you relaise you tagged the wrong files or selected the worng ones, Just Ctrl+Z ( to undo) and start over.

Seems long to describe, but once you get used to it, its second nature.

Be aware if ID3v2 tags have not been created for these files, it will take some time to write them. You will have to do a defrag after as the files will have been shifted to write the ID3v2 tag at the befginning of the file. But its only a one time operation. Once ID3v2 tags are created, tag changes are very fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up