INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View: Revolutionary Idea  (Read 2016 times)

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Theater View: Revolutionary Idea
« on: August 31, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »

I thought I'd throw out an idea that would revolutionize the Theater View.  I've noticed an awful lot of comments asking to "put this there", "add that here", etc.  Almost all of the requests involve putting an existing feature somewhere into the graphical interface.

Why not let the end-user customize the interface by adding buttons to the screen that perform already-existing MCC commands.  I'm talking about *total* control over what buttons/items appear on the interface.  Maybe even add to the existing MCC commands.  I'm sure this would be a lot of work, but you have to admit:  the extensible nature of it would be awesome.

OK...  so maybe this is a harebrained idea (what's a harebrain, anyway?), but a person can dream, can't they?

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Theater View: Revolutionary Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »

That would be nice.
Me fail english? That's unpossible!

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:07:03 pm »

I like this idea as well.  Custom buttons/graphics/functions...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:11:14 pm »

The look, feel, and layout of Theater View are all quite customizable.

Since we haven't seen a lot of third party effort in this area, we aren't concentrating on adding more low-level user customization.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:17:12 pm »

While I haven't played around with the latest theatre view versions, I've played around with the one from MC v10 and it was already a bit customizable. The problem though is that this is not "customizable" by your average user as it pretty much comes down to being able to make a new skin (graphics and layouts).

I don't really see how J River could make it any less complicated though.

So if you're able to make your own MC skin, you should definitely give skinning theatre view a try and post your scheme.

-Cascius

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:35:05 pm »

Since we haven't seen a lot of third party effort in this area, we aren't concentrating on adding more low-level user customization.

Notice that I'm not talking about the look or feel, but rather content.  The current main.xml only gives control of the layout of what JRiver decided to put in place.  I have personally modified the skin for my own tastes, but it's not really more than a preference for color.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:44:17 pm »

Notice that I'm not talking about the look or feel, but rather content.  The current main.xml only gives control of the layout of what JRiver decided to put in place.  I have personally modified the skin for my own tastes, but it's not really more than a preference for color.

Okay, I see what you mean now. I just had a look at the latest Main.xml and indeed, there's still no options to define a tree system.

So basically what you are refering to as "content" would be creating one or more tree systems rather than just being able to position the current preset tree system.

When I fooled around with hairstyles in past version, I stumbled into the same problems. Hopefully JR will implement another main.xml that will allow us to do those modifications.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 06:53:13 pm »

Setting up view schemes is how you define a "tree structure" with Theater View.  This seems like a pretty user-friendly and powerful solution.

Theater View skins allow customization of where items are placed and what items are shown.  If there are specific extensions you need when making a skin, let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 07:13:42 pm »

Theater View skins allow customization of where items are placed and what items are shown.  If there are specific extensions you need when making a skin, let us know.

Where in MJFS 1.8 can you specify what items are shown?  Besides the <NAVIGATION> (which I always delete) and the <TEXT>, I don't see where I can add content.

As an example, lets say I want to add a button that lets me toggle the Continuous or Shuffle setting.  I don't think this can be done.

I hope I'm missing something :-)

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:20:22 pm »

Disclaimer: I don't use theater view.
However, what you guys are discussing here sounds terribly familiar: Opera works like that.

Can anyone who knows MC, theater view and opera corroborate this?

It could be a good reference should you decide to implement this idea.

Cheers,

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 12:06:57 am »

Matt:
Regarding view schemes for Theatre View....
Does that mean. for example,  that I can create a "Programs" button on the home screen and then link it to a view scheme that contains a list of some programs I want to launch?

I think most people who are looking for this functionality are thinking of using Media Center as a frontend for a home-theater machine. I just built one and I have to use several programs to manage my UI.   The addition of launching external apps in MC 11 is very exciting... but how customizable can we get?

Me fail english? That's unpossible!

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 04:56:22 am »

Setting up view schemes is how you define a "tree structure" with Theater View.  This seems like a pretty user-friendly and powerful solution.

Matt, please let me know, how can i create and place a Button for Page-Up and Page-Down ?

Thanks, Uwe

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 02:52:01 am »

Matt, please let me know, how can i create and place a Button for Page-Up and Page-Down ?

Thanks, Uwe

This was added in .75, but the question remains:  how can the main.xml of the Theater View skin choose what items are displayed and where the buttons would be located?
Pages: [1]   Go Up