INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! iPod Problems  (Read 4164 times)

john0000

• Change this by choosing profile
HELP! iPod Problems
« on: September 06, 2004, 11:28:16 am »

I am on MC v10.0.139 for use with my iPod.  For the most part, I have not had any problems.  Recently I tried the upgrade to 10.0.155.  It worked fine for a little while.  Last week, I turned on the iPod and could not access any songs.  When I browse Artists, there is nothing there.  The files are still there because I can see them (numeric filename) on Windows Explorer.    

I tried connecting the iPod to my PC to fix the problem.  When I click the 'Handheld Player' link, I get a C++ Runtime error which terminates the program.  If I try selecting the iPod from the Drives&Devices list, I get an error popup box with only an 'h' in the title bar and an 'OK' button.  Clicking OK terminates the application as well.  I wasn't sure if the problems were due to the upgrade, so I reinstalled the previous version.  The problems continue.

As a result, I can now no longer access songs on my iPod and cannot access the iPod from my PC.

Is there anything you can suggest to remedy this problem?

Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:HELP! iPod Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:45:14 am »

john0000,

If the error occurs as soon as you click on your iPod drive letter in MC, try either deleting or renaming your iTunesDB file (on iPod in your iPod_Control\iTunes folder).  After doing this, MC should not crash when you access your iPod from within MC, but you also will not see any of your files. Right click on your iPod drive letter in MC and select 'Rebuild database from iPod' and this should recreate the iTunesDB file and you can go forward from there. You will lose your Playlists, but they will be readded on your next sync.

Steve

john0000

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 10:33:25 am »

Thanks Steve!  I will try it tonight and let you know if it works.

John

john0000

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:10:50 am »

Everything is working smoothly now.  Thanks for the help!!

benrad

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 11:31:10 pm »

I thought this might fix my problem, however, it didn't. When I click on my device in the drives folder, I get a blank error dialog box. Any ideas? I am able to transfer music in iTunes without any problem.

benrad

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:45:45 pm »

I tried restoring my iPod to factory defaults and I still get the blank error dialog box (red circle, white X) when I click on the iPod in MC 11.0.85.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 12:05:00 am »

It looks like there's a problem with the latest build (85). I'm getting the same thing with a Zen, and others are also seeing this. I would bet that the next build will sort it out.

benrad

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 08:49:06 am »

word. Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 02:36:51 pm »

Tonight's build should take care of these issues.

benrad

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 02:40:05 pm »

Again, word. Thanks.

benrad

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 11:45:19 pm »

OK, 86 fixed the problem, however, now I guess I just don't get how the new synching scheme works. I hit "sync playlists" and I don't get any sort of option to select a playlist, just "select all" and "select none." Am I missing something?

Thank you very much for fixing this Steve.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 09:30:43 am »

benrad,

Expand MC and the AW should show you a tree where you can select playlists in addition to the check boxes you describe.

Steve

benrad

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 09:33:53 am »

benrad,

Expand MC and the AW should show you a tree where you can select playlists in addition to the check boxes you describe.

Steve

OK, I'll try that tonight.

benrad

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 10:37:03 pm »

I guess it wasn't showing in the Blue Steel skin, but I can see it in Thunderstorm.

One thing I've noticed: If I attempt to browse my mp3s through a view scheme while I'm loading songs on the handheld, MC won't allow me to scroll through artists or album. I can scroll to the end of the list but it jumps back up to the beginning of the list when I let go of the bar. Just a side note.

Thanks for all your help and hard work on this Steve.

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 10:17:24 am »

One thing I've noticed: If I attempt to browse my mp3s through a view scheme while I'm loading songs on the handheld, MC won't allow me to scroll through artists or album. I can scroll to the end of the list but it jumps back up to the beginning of the list when I let go of the bar. Just a side note.

This is fixed in the next build of 11. Thanks.

benrad

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 05:13:42 am »

Now, in build 89, when transferring to the iPod, the percentage text overlays the song name text in the transfer window. Just a heads up.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 09:30:49 am »

benrad,

I cannot duplicate this. What skin are you using? Are you intiating the transfer via drag and drop or sync?

Thanks,

Steve

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 09:48:21 am »

I transferred some music to my iPod for the first time in a couple of months using the 11.0.88 build and had the text in the upload progress overlaid. I had to minimise the action window transfer box which was two lines high and open it again for it to be sized correctly and show all the text on 3 lines.

benrad

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 10:05:02 am »

benrad,

I cannot duplicate this. What skin are you using? Are you intiating the transfer via drag and drop or sync?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm using Thunderstorm. Initiated transfer with sync.

ppruitt

• Recent member
  • So little to say...
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 02:37:51 pm »

I am having a problem using MC 11.0.089.  Whenever i plug in my 4G ipod, it comes up as a portable drive instead of as what is should be.  The first time it's plugged in and i try to look at it.  I first get a switch to, retry dialog, followed by an 'Incorrect parameter' error message.   Then, once the iPod is plugged in, it shows up as a disk drive where i can see all the subdirectories just as if i was looking at it in windows explorer.  Any ideas as to how i can fix this?  I've already tried reinstalling MC and restoring the iPod.  

Thanks, and keep up the good work,

Peter

----------------------------------------------

Media Center Registered 11.0.89 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3172 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 639 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1514 (xpsp2.040109-1800) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4241N  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 03:45:53 pm »

Peter,

Do you have any other removable devices plugged in at the same time? If so try unplugging them.

Steve

benrad

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 04:11:09 pm »

I am having a problem using MC 11.0.089.  Whenever i plug in my 4G ipod, it comes up as a portable drive instead of as what is should be.  The first time it's plugged in and i try to look at it.  I first get a switch to, retry dialog, followed by an 'Incorrect parameter' error message.   Then, once the iPod is plugged in, it shows up as a disk drive where i can see all the subdirectories just as if i was looking at it in windows explorer.  Any ideas as to how i can fix this?  I've already tried reinstalling MC and restoring the iPod.  

It appears the same to me, however the functionality is still the same (I can still sync, etc.). I just assumed that this was the way v11 was going to handle the iPods.

ppruitt

• Recent member
  • So little to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 05:04:41 pm »

I tried unplugging the other device (a Samsung Yepp-90 that has never worked with MC.  Speeaking of which, any support in the works?), but it still doesn't work.  Also, I tried syncing like that, and it says i have only 275 megs of space on my 40G iPod.  

Thanks,

Peter

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 05:13:36 pm »

benrad and Peter,

If you right click on the iPod drive letter in the tree, do you see options that refer to 'iPod'?

Peter.

In regards to Yepp, if the Yepp is WMDM compatible MC will support it. You can verify if it is WMDM compatible by running Windows Media Player and see if it is recognized. If it is, the device is WMDM compatible.

Also,

Peter, how much space does Windows Explorer report that your iPod has available?

Steve

ppruitt

• Recent member
  • So little to say...
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 06:16:28 pm »

The only options I see when i right click are Show Queued File Only and Add Folder.  There are none of the standard iPod options available. In Windows Explorer, it says that I have 37 gigs of storage space available on the iPod.  There are at this point no other devices plugged into my system's USB ports other than the iPod.

Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 03:15:45 pm »

Peter,

I made significant changes to MC today in regards to how MC detects USB devices like iPod. Please get tonight's version (11.0.91) and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Steve

ppruitt

• Recent member
  • So little to say...
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 07:12:49 pm »

Steve,

Somehow, that worked.  The iPod appears to be working normally now.  Thanks for the help.

- Peter

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2004, 10:58:49 pm »

Steve, I was having the same problems earlier today.  I installed .90 and I could see the other options for the iPod.  I tried to synch a playlist with some songs I originlally loaded through iTunes (songs were originally from MC), and it seemed to loan the new files fine (did not realize they were already loaded by iTunes - probably normal?) but when i tried to synch another playlist, I have the same problems again.  Only the queued files & add folder options, nothing else.

So, it worked once, but it's messed up again.

Also, I just got my iPod and rally have no idea what I'm doing, so it might just be me. :P
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2004, 01:00:53 am »

I restarted the machine, and all's well again.  don't know if that eliminates the bug or not, but I'm back up.

PS  The iPod does in fact kick Arse!
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up