INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing data from an existing Access DB into MC?  (Read 917 times)

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
Importing data from an existing Access DB into MC?
« on: September 09, 2004, 05:19:16 am »

Hello,

A few years ago, before I started to use MJ and MC, I cataloged all of my videotapes (about 2,400 hours of it!) into an Access database.

Is there a way for me to import all of this information into MC? I was thinking of using the videotape number from the database in MC's location field to allow me to easily find a specific show.

Thanks.

Michel.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Importing data from an existing Access DB into MC?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 05:45:27 am »

I think it wuold be cool MC handle a database without needing a file. There are so many thing that can be catalogued... and something similar to MC would be cool...

However, as long as I know, MC needs a file to import into the internat DB. What you could do is create a little image file for each videotape... The import them, and fill propoerties from filename...

You should name the files using the information stored in your Access DB. You can do that easyly using Excel...

Copy the information in a Excel Sheet, and add a columns to build this command

"copy videotape.jpg c:\my videotapes\nn - film - director - year - etc..."

You should buid that sentence for each videotape, and then execute them as a DOS command...

I dont know if I've been clear enoght, but hopefully you will get the idea...

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Importing data from an existing Access DB into MC?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:12:25 am »

Copy the information in a Excel Sheet, and add a columns to build this command

"copy videotape.jpg c:\my videotapes\nn - film - director - year - etc..."

You should buid that sentence for each videotape, and then execute them as a DOS command...

I dont know if I've been clear enoght, but hopefully you will get the idea...

Thanks Polonio,

I'm trying it right now. I have generated an Access report of all the data I want to import into MC and exported that report to Excel. So far, so good.

But I'm not clear on what you mean after that (could be I'm only on my first cup of coffee... :) ).

Ca you help me a little more?

Thanks in advance.

Michel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up