INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to move folder from one drive to another  (Read 839 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
How to move folder from one drive to another
« on: September 10, 2004, 05:18:44 pm »

I want to move the folowing folder: "D:\Audio-Misc" to "E:\Audio" (ending up with: E:\Audio\Audio-Misc) with all the file links intact.

I also want to split my Artist/Album directory between 2 HDs. Move D:\Artists & Albums (S thru Z) to E: Audio\Artists & Albums. My D drive only has 2.1 gigs left on it and I have a nearly empty 80gig drive. I want to maintain alphabetical integrity and allow expansion on both drives rather than starting the alphabet all over on the E drive.

In the past I've just replaced drives and renamed them to match the old one. I have never moved files/folders from within MC before, so I need instructions for a newbee as I can't afford to screw this up!

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:How to move folder from one drive to another
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:21:14 pm »

Add the files you like to move to a new playlist. Go there, select all and use Library Tool "Find and Replace". Change "Filename(path)" from e.g. "D:\Audio-Misc" to "E:\Audio\Audio-Misc". Your subfolders are preserved. That's all.

Test it first with some files. I suppose your library and media backups are up-to-date... ;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 07:54:02 pm »

Thanks Alex, I'll try as you suggested and yes, library and media are backed up, (I learned the hard way a couple of months ago!) ;D
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 06:34:39 am »

[...] use Library Tool "Find and Replace". Change "Filename(path)" from e.g. "D:\Audio-Misc" to "E:\Audio\Audio-Misc". [...]

To use find & replace to move folders ... who would have thunk?  JRiver, please give us something intuitive (... e.g., move/copy associated with right clicking a directory).

tia  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up