INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot install Media Center  (Read 1363 times)

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
Cannot install Media Center
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:03:50 am »

I am trying to install MC 11 on one of my PC's and after clicking the install executable, I get the progress bar as the Install Wizard extracts the files, but then the setup program never launches.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Cannot install Media Center
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:48:16 am »

There have been reports of faulty spyware guards causing this. (MC has absolutely no spyware)

One workaround is to manually extract the file in the MediaCenter10xxx.exe file with WinRAR and then launch "InstallWizard.exe"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 09:48:47 am »

I had the same thing happen to me. The "solution" was to extract the files manually using WinRAR, and then run InstallWizard.exe from there. It worked for me, although there was never any explanation as to what the problem was  (I think... I haven't checked that thread in a while).

I was also asked if, now that it had installed once, if I could get it to install from the downloaded executable without having to manually extract the files. The answer to that question is no. I was never able to install it without having to use WinRAR first.

Last night I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows, so eventually I'll get to putting MC back on and I'll be able to see if it works.

By any chance are you running Windows XP SP2? I know I was, and I thought somebody else who had this problem said they were as well. Just wondering if it's a possible link...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:53:15 am »

Here's the other thread I mentioned. There's some other info in there that might help.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23344

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 10:09:39 am »

Also, since the files first get extracted to the temporary directory, try emptying the system's temporary folder to see if it makes a difference.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 12:10:23 pm »

By any chance are you running Windows XP SP2? I know I was, and I thought somebody else who had this problem said they were as well. Just wondering if it's a possible link...

I am, although this is on one of three systems I have that are SP2 and it is the only one with the install problem.  The 11.0.72 version installed without problem, but 11.0.81 will not.  I will try the WinRAR thing tonight when I get home from work.

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 12:16:31 pm »

I am still unable to install the program, even after extracting the files manually.  Using dependancy walker, I was able to note some findings.  I posted them in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23344

Pages: [1]   Go Up