INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping Problem in 10.0.161  (Read 1182 times)

SoundsGood

• Change this by choosing profile
Ripping Problem in 10.0.161
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:18:36 pm »

Greetings All,

Sorry to post here, but the only similiar thread seemed related strictly to WMP 10.  I have installed 10.0.155 and ripped with both MP3 and APE on a Win2003 server, no problems.  Now, I am trying it on the workstation I would prefer to use, a dual cpu PIII running XP SP1, and no matter which encoder or where I try to write to, the encoding process fails (stating "Failed" for each track).  I have downloaded .161, and over/upgrade installed it, only to have similar results.  Now the process fails on the first track, and leaves the others "Pending", but the result is the same - no ripped tracks.

In all cases, I am left with a correct filename, but the ripped file is only 1K in size and is otherwise useless.  I used a default install, not changing anything, but I just can't get this to work.  So far I am extremely impressed with everything I have seen, and would like to make MediaCenter the hub of a lot of things here, but I would like to get past this little hurdle.

Thanks!

Media Center 10.0.161 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 859 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 314 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1514 (xpsp2.040109-1800) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive Z: PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32112
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Ripping Problem in 10.0.161
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:02:07 pm »

Some questions:

Are you logged on as administrator?

Do you have another drive you could test with?

Can you play from the CD?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SoundsGood

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:19:37 pm »

Matt, thanks for the quick response.  I am an Admin of the machine, and for further info, I have completely uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled .161, doing nothing but accept defaults.  I then imported the few local files on the machine and went staright to Rip CD - no luck.  I have tried several CDs, including ones that ripped just fine on the .155 Win2003 box.  I've disabled virus scanning prior to the install and left it off throughout this process.

Good call on the playback.  MC reports that it has encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.  Below that it asks me to make sure the path in my media center library points to the right location.

MC is able to recognize the disc and pull down track info, so it is reading the drive apparently.  WMP 9 plays the CD with no problems, and I can rip with EAC just fine.

?

SoundsGood

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:56:22 pm »

Very interesting update: after tooling around through the registry, looking for places that the library could be somehow wrong (and not really seeing anything), I noticed in the Options, File Location section that the "Track Image Location" was set for C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Cover Art\ (which did not exist, so I changed it to \Default Art\, which does exist.  Now I can play tracks, but still cannot rip...

Update: somewhere there I had also disabled Options, Devices, Use Digital Playback, which I noticed when I went to see if cover art would now show up, and MC kindly told me that I needed to have the Digital Playback option on in order for them to display during playback.  Turning it back on stopped my playback and took me back where I was before.

Guess I'll try another drive...

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 12:25:34 pm »

If you could send me a log file of a ripping attempt I might be able to diagnose the problem. When I saw that your drive was SCSI, I tested a SCSI drive here and it worked ok.
As Matt said, if your are not logged in as admin you will have symptoms similar to what you describe. We have a utility program to open up cd drive access to non admin users.

Here are instructions for generating a log file of a ripping session:

Turn on MC's logging for CD ripping by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to rip a CD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdripper.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

SoundsGood

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 02:24:25 pm »

John, thanks for your attention to this.  I have sent several log files to you just now.  I had wondered before whether you could log the rips, and sure enough, you can.  THe more I learn about MC, the more I am impressed.

As for the problem at hand, I will get another drive if need be, but the interesting thing is that the behaviour of the problem changes between .155 and .161, indicating to me that something has changed in a relevant area of code (perhaps) - was this to improve performance or compatibility with different drives?

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up