INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I sync subset of library to another HD?  (Read 794 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
How can I sync subset of library to another HD?
« on: September 19, 2004, 10:20:56 am »

Here's my situation.  I have a nice large music library.  I use MC to sync a subest to my Zen, no problem.  But my son has a portable player that is not supported by MC.  So I have to use the crappy software that came with it to sync.  However, that software will only let you sync an entire music library -- no option to select a subset of it.

So what I would like to do is to create a folder on another drive in my PC to contain the music the crappy program would sync to the son's player, and I'd like to set up a playlist in MC to which I could add and remove tracks and sync to the folder on the other hard drive.  That way I wouldn't have to manually delete files from the other folder and I wouldn't have to manually copy files to the other folder.  Instead, I would be able to add and delete to the playlist (like I do for the Zen) and then let MC do all the heavy moving and listing.

I hope this is clear enough.  If anyone has a way to do this, please let me know.  MC is so flexible, there has to be some way to skin this cat.

Thanks,

Nolo

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:How can I sync subset of library to another HD?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:35:08 am »

Nolonemo

to be honest i dont really understand the question, but it sounds like you could do everything you want with the following:

1) set up the crappy folder as a seperate library in MC
2) use something like karen's replicator (www.karenware.com) which is a free utility that will mirror a folder or drive for you. Get it to mirror your good music folder to the crappy folder (it will copy over additions as well as deletions)

if i misinterpreted you can you try to re-explain

pip

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 12:19:10 pm »

Thanks, for responding Pip, but then the question is how do I add or delete files to the crappy library using playlists in my main library, or how would I do that without using playlists?

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 12:22:59 pm »

okay i'm still confused...heavy night last night!

i guess there are several options:

1) if you want the crappy library to be a copy of an existing windows folder, use karenware or similar

2) if you want the library to be a copy of a playlist you would need to do it manually from within mc (easiest way would be to delete the contents of the folder and recopy the playlist over, rather than looking for items to delete by hand)

3) if its a combination of the two i think it needs to be done manually!
Pages: [1]   Go Up