INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for virtual media type!  (Read 1004 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request for virtual media type!
« on: September 25, 2004, 10:14:18 am »

Hi J River,

the current media type classification seems to me a bit limited. I would like to have the media type classification extended by something called virtual media type to better distinguish some media types that have a common file extension.

Samples:
mp3 is normally music, but it could also be something else like speeches, recording of interviews, audio cassettes etc.
jpg could be pictures taken with my camera, art paintings, posters, images downloaded from the internet etc.
avi could be movies, tv series, tv recordings, e-learning etc.

Basically these are distinct media types although they share the same file extension. It would be nice to be able to define our own media types, so that they could be inserted at the root of the media library.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
Re:Request for virtual media type!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 10:28:45 am »

Now, I'm no expert on view schemes... but couldn't you just create a custom field for your "virtual media type", and then build a view scheme which filters based on the virtual media type field?

It seems to me that the virtual media type you describe is something that you would assign yourself anyways.... so what's the difference?
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 11:54:57 am »

Wile E. One,

what you suggest is what I do now. I have view schemes for different media types. But the current solution has a drawback.

If I move for instance my artwork view scheme to the media library root (the same level as audio, image, video), then I cannot use the media type selection button at the top right of MC11 which are very handy to change from one type to the other. I would need to use the 'All Media' View all the time.

When I think of the forecoming Library Browser it would come in very handy to have at the top level all your different (virtual) media types something like:

Web|Music|Arts|Photos|Movies|TV Series|Clips|Docs|Speeches|People

or whatever somebody would like to have at the very top level. This would reflect in some way the media reality better, as a single file extension can include different media types.

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 03:33:05 pm »

Quote Jaguu :
When I think of the forecoming Library Browser it would come in very handy to have at the top level all your different (virtual) media types something like:

I agree  completely.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 11:54:39 am »

Quote Jaguu :

I agree  completely.

Yeah, what he said!

Images are a great case in point.  Digital Photos, Clipart, and Art/Paintings certainly merit their own media type.  Perhaps it could be taken too far with things like IconSets, Avatars, Wallpaper, etc., but what's the downside to letting users create their own media types?

I find I want to use MC for more-and-more every day - I even used it to classify my researh material for a thesis.  Flexibility is the key to increasing the use cases for which MC fits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up