INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.0.86 -- New File Browsing System  (Read 10780 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
Re:MC 11.0.86 -- New File Browsing System
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2004, 09:12:03 am »

I personally run a rather decent system, and it seems like MC can sometimes stutter when its redrawing after a minimize or restore even on my system.

It's stuttering because drawing resources and the library are unloaded when you minimize to make the footprint as small as possible.  So you're really having problems with anti-bloat instead of bloat :P

Well, that takes all the steam out of my complaint now doesn't it. I would be a fool to push the issue based on the anti-bloat causing stuttering. I can hear it now... "I want MC to be as bloated, and as heavy on resources as humanly possible, just as long as it doesnt stutter when loading and unloading"... Nah, still doesn't sound right.

Sorry about the horrible misspellings on the last post. It seems as though China has disrupted my otherwise normal English. I seem to find my self saying Uh... a lot.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2004, 11:22:38 am »

3) As I already said, having all those commands displayed on every tile seems to be an overkill. Once you have selected a tile you can simply press the Play button, or click the appropriate tab, so I do not see the necessity to have those commands repeated over and over.

It's an issue of reducing mouse movement.  The further you have to move your mouse, the less usable something becomes.  The flipside is that it adds visual clutter.  Again, any good solutions?

How about double clicking the tile to drill down to the next level (double click an artist tile to drill down to their albums), or to play all files by the artist, click the tile to select it and click the Play button?

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2004, 12:31:30 pm »

Just discovered this great new browser and I'm impressed.  Like others, I think it can easily be incorporated into the existing pane system by making the following changes:
1. Replace pane headers with the new tabs.
2. Have option to list detail under each tab by line (that is the same list starting with 'All' and ending with 'Unassigned'.
3. Result of browsing shown as either tile or file details.
4. Tabs used for browsing selection only.  Need "buttons" for :
- Clear selection
- Tile/File  (do away with files tab)
- Detail option as in 2 above.
5. Selecting tagging mode defaults to existing pane structure (best method for tagging).
6. To keep media library browsing consistent, the 1st tab/pane should be media type. The options could be shown visually with tiles for audio, images, videos etc (and statistics).  The available tabs to the right change to reflect the media type selected.

As suggested elsewhere I agree
- the tree could be incorporated fully into this pane/tab system.
- thumbnails for artists would be great. Aso include in track info to display while playing. You could have images tied to genre, year and so on.
- that album tiles are needed to list track details.

Hope this makes sense (all thoughts composed while I sleep and dream of the possibilities).

Marra

pank2002

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2004, 01:41:07 pm »

3) As I already said, having all those commands displayed on every tile seems to be an overkill. Once you have selected a tile you can simply press the Play button, or click the appropriate tab, so I do not see the necessity to have those commands repeated over and over.

It's an issue of reducing mouse movement.  The further you have to move your mouse, the less usable something becomes.  The flipside is that it adds visual clutter.  Again, any good solutions?

What 'bout only showing them when the mouse hovers the tile? This would be like the internet where links flashes when hoverd. Of course there the tile should be hoverd for x seconds (defined by user) before lighting up as it would be rather annoying if everything flashed when one moves the curser.

Redrawing should be faster. My 1.1Ghz lacks. I think there's some fade animation which, IMO, should be removed.

Nomatter what you do, you should keep both nagvigation systems in MC rather than replacing one with the other. If needed call panes for classical view :)
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

RemyJ

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2004, 04:43:31 pm »

It seems that the cover art rotation on mouse-over includes an empty image.  If the artist has 2 albums, it goes album1, album2, blank, album1, album2, blank, etc.  If you hover over the image for an artist that has only 1 album, the image flashes.

This is by design so something always happens when you mouse over the image.  Without that, I kept waiting at files with only one image.  Also, the blank lets you know you've seen all the images.  Is there a better solution?

Eh, are you saying that you wrote the darn thing and didn't realize the images rotated a few times per second when there was more than 1???    ;)

Seriously, though, is knowing you've rotated through the images really useful?    What about albums that  have no coverart (which show as  blank) or where the art is missing (which shows the MC logo)?   I've got several genres that rotate through 5 blanks, 5 MC logos and 2 images.   I'd just show the 2 images and scrap the rest.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2004, 05:24:44 pm »

Eh, are you saying that you wrote the darn thing and didn't realize the images rotated a few times per second when there was more than 1???    ;)

I'm a monkey.

Seriously, though, is knowing you've rotated through the images really useful?    What about albums that  have no coverart (which show as  blank) or where the art is missing (which shows the MC logo)?   I've got several genres that rotate through 5 blanks, 5 MC logos and 2 images.   I'd just show the 2 images and scrap the rest.

Try the next build and see if it's less annoying and also if it skips the blanks. (hopefully yes to both)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up