INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Collection Databse  (Read 1889 times)

brossmac

• World Citizen
Album Collection Databse
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:16:37 pm »

This is probably a HUGE undertaking, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a LARGE collection of CDs, LPs, etc. (as I'm sure many of us out here do).  Right now, I'm using OrangeCD (http://www.firetongue.com) to catalog my entire collection.

What I would LOVE is to integrate this idea into MC.  That way the library would show you albums that you own that are not currently on your computer.  The database might be able to label media that's actually playable from the hard drive (or wherever) and differentiate it from media that's in your collection but that the program can't currently play.  When you plop the CD in your computer, it would recognize whether it was already in your collection or not.

Is this impossible?  It seems like a logical fit (to somebody who knows squat about programming, admittedly).

P.S.  It should be covered in chocolate and be low fat.   :P

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Collection Databse
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:08:29 am »

I believe MC can do this and in fact that is what I'm going to try when I get time. If you look under Advanced in the Media Library tree, you'll see a CD & DVD item. Under that are the albums you ripped. Now I may have changed something, it's been a long time since I installed 11, but right under CD & DVD I have an Album Artist (auto)/Album. Underneath that are the artists and underneath those are their albums. If you look at the files in these, they are the cda file type which is the one on the CD.

So my understanding and what I'm going to try, is to clear out the current list and then start inserting CD's without ripping. Hopefully they will be put in there and that's how I'll be able to see my CD collection. Now as far as LPs, you'll have to figure something else out.
Jeff

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:16:02 am »

Nice.  What I'd like to see is the ability to see this info in the Library Browser, complete with thumbnails.  Then I'd be set for life!

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 01:13:35 pm »

That's pretty good, but I stick primarily to the Library Browser and I'd like to see it integrated there.

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 10:16:50 am »

MC works quite well as a offline CD database. I've used it for all my CD's - audio  mp3 and video.

Only area that I think needs improving is the handling of cover art inside mp3 CD's.

When I upgraded to MC 11 - I lost all the thumbnails - as MC just caches them - so they disappear on a version upgrade.

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 10:38:27 pm »

MC works quite well as a offline CD database. I've used it for all my CD's - audio  mp3 and video.

Only area that I think needs improving is the handling of cover art inside mp3 CD's.

When I upgraded to MC 11 - I lost all the thumbnails - as MC just caches them - so they disappear on a version upgrade.

I'm glad I didn't try to start importing my library.  I would have been upset to upgrade and lose the thumbs.  I'm totally a thumbnail person.  I like to browse my library visually.  Takes me back to the glory days of vinyl....
Pages: [1]   Go Up