INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod won't play m4p files - HELP  (Read 2430 times)

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
iPod won't play m4p files - HELP
« on: September 25, 2004, 11:14:15 am »

I just downloaded some songs from iTunes, which downloaded as m4p files (can't I configure iTunes to d/l as mp3?).  I can play these songs through MC10 just fine.  I synched with my 2nd generation iPod and the songs show up on the iPod but don't seem to want to play on the iPod.  When I select the song and click the center button on the iPod to begin playing, nothing happens.  Does this mean that my 2nd gen. iPods will not play m4p format files?  I can't burn them (I suppose the protection prevents this) so burning and ripping is not possible.  Please don't tell me that I can never play them on my iPod!!!

Help Please!!!   :'( :'( :'(

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:iPod won't play m4p files - HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:41:22 pm »

molarman,

iTunes does not sell songs in mp3 format because mp3s do not have built-in DRM. m4p/aac files do, and that's why Apple (and most other legal download services) use them [EDITED to add: I mean that most legal sites use formats other than mp3. After reading my post, I realized that it sounded like most legal download stores use AAC, which is not true. Most use WMA, which also allows for DRM].

In order to get the iTunes songs to play on your iPod after syncing with MC, you need to use iTunes to drop ONE song onto your iPod. This creates a license file that the iPod needs to play the songs.

Most of this info is available in the Portable Devices forum. In the future, you'll probably want to use that forum for questions like this. It'll probably get moved there anyway.

Hope this helps!  :)

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 03:31:25 pm »

Thanks Crow.  Well I did as described and now have the songs playing on my iPod (following a firmware update).  However, the songs are only 2 seconds long - which coincides with the tag information in MC.

What's up with that?

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 04:44:53 pm »

Got me on that one. When I transfer the one song using iTunes, they all play OK for me.

I'm sure Steve or one of the other knowledgable folks can help though.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 03:12:56 pm »

molarman,

If the file is reported by MC to be 2 seconds long, this is why iPod cuts it off.  Try deleting and reimporting the files into MC and see if they still list a duration of 2 seconds. If so, post a link to one of the files and I will check it out.

(FYI, we use Quicktime to open the file and retrieve the duration. Try opening the file in Quicktime and see what it reports for duration).

Steve

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 05:14:28 pm »

That is exactly what I did yesterday, and all is fine now.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up