INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.91 Alpha Available  (Read 2613 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.91 Alpha Available
« on: September 27, 2004, 05:04:31 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  When upgrading from MC 10, you will lose your view schemes.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110091.exe  [see price link above]

Recent Changes

11.0.91 (9/27/04)

1. Fixed: Portable device detection by MC modified to accommodate multiple USB players with playlist support.
2. Changed: Portable device detection based on name vs serial number.
3. NEW: Scrolling much faster and cleaner in most areas.
4. Fixed: Scrolling in "Tag Info" Action Window could look animated in the wrong direction.
5. NEW: Several speed enhancements and some visual tuning for the Library Browser.
6. Fixed: Library Browser would sort groupings by track number so albums got mixed.
7. Fixed: Some Action Window pages would fail to properly arrange their text in certain cases.

11.0.90 (9/24/04)

1. Fixed: Some CD writing failures could cause MC to hang instead of cleanly recover. (may have only affected fast computers)
2. Fixed: CD burning could fail to start on very fast computers.
3. Fixed: Track boundaries could be incorrect when burning an audio CD with cross-fading enabled.
4. Fixed: Library browser doesn't require "Shift" to be depressed during startup to appear.
5. Fixed: Library browser rating sorting was not dealing with fractional ratings properly.
6. Fixed: Adding new files to the database could be overly slow in some cases.
7. Fixed: Import's exclude previously removed file option changes were not being preserved.
8. NEW: Library Browser shows letters to jump to certain items when showing a large list of items. (click multiple times to cycle)
9. NEW: CD burner has new mode "MP3 CD or DVD" in addition to audio and data CD or DVD. Converts other formats to mp3 before writing to CD.

MC 11 Improvements

• CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
  • Many Theater View enhancements
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Video CD support
  • Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re:Media Center 11.0.91 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 05:43:43 pm »

Upon install, was asked if I wanted to remove MC10, I said YES.

However there is a dialog box requiring confirmation before allowing the MC11 install to proceed.

However, the uninstall dialog box was hidden behind the MC11 install box, making it look as if it had locked up. Cancelling the 'frozen' install revealed the hidden dialog box and revealing the true problem.

Could this 'uninstall MC10' confirmation dialog be made to appear 'Always On Top'?
. . . the game is rigged

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 05:52:34 pm »

Matt
I need help and not sure where to go with this.
I bought MC 11 today (good for me)
Now, I have only 160 cover art that is stored outside of the file in the cover art directory.  I want all my cover art to be in the file header.  How do I do this??? I have tried everything I can think of.  I hav 20,000+ file and only 160 cover art files stored outside.  Why and how do I fix?
Thanks

TXGary

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 06:02:20 pm »

Matt
I need help and not sure where to go with this.
I bought MC 11 today (good for me)
Now, I have only 160 cover art that is stored outside of the file in the cover art directory.  I want all my cover art to be in the file header.  How do I do this??? I have tried everything I can think of.  I hav 20,000+ file and only 160 cover art files stored outside.  Why and how do I fix?
Thanks

TXGary

Turn on the option to store cover art internally. (Options > General > Importing and Tagging)

Select files and do "Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)"

Test with a a few files first to make sure it's doing what you want.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 06:07:43 pm »

I'm downloading .91 now, but this bug has shown up in the last few builds. It's a repeat from 10:
<from old MC post>
10.0.130 (5/5/04) 1. Fixed: When tagging MP3 files that were in use, MC could leave temporary (.xxxxxx) files around.

It started around 9/11 (not sure of exact build #) and has continued until now. I'm doing a lot of rating songs while listening right now. That's the only tag change I'm making.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 06:25:30 pm »

I'm downloading .91 now, but this bug has shown up in the last few builds. It's a repeat from 10:
<from old MC post>
10.0.130 (5/5/04) 1. Fixed: When tagging MP3 files that were in use, MC could leave temporary (.xxxxxx) files around.

It started around 9/11 (not sure of exact build #) and has continued until now. I'm doing a lot of rating songs while listening right now. That's the only tag change I'm making.

Does it only happen when tagging the playing song?  Maybe start a new thread to see if we can figure it out.

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 06:58:37 pm »

Library Browser..

Would be nice to be able to specify what files to see in the browser..
ie, I keep 3 different version of each song in my Library,

.ape
.mp3
.wma

I would like to only see my ape files in the browser.
-

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 07:37:50 pm »

Import Media dialog shows all of the differnt folders i have previously selected to look to import from (Awesome idea!)

Problem...3 of the folders I have selected are similarly located, i.e. c:/Documents and Settings/Name/etc.  the file names are so long that i can't see the end of the string, so they all appear the same.  Can you fill in the redundencies with "..." or allow some way to mouse over, or select somehow to see the whole file name.

Thanks

Also, Is there some way to allow importing of files to happen in the background, like updating tags does now.  As it is I'm sitting here waiting for MC to finish before doing anything else.  I realize it's not a big deal since i don't really import that often, but it is irritating when I do do it.

Thanks again.
pretend this is something funny

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 10:03:48 pm »

Bugs

1.  I can't burn an audio CD from flac files.  These files play in MC without any issues.
2.  Manually adjusted column widths are not remembered between sessions or when alternating between views.  Autosize columns option is turned off.

Requests:

1.  Full FLAC support (encode & decode) including tagging.  MC will play FLAC files, but won’t tag them.
2.  User adjustable Album Gain.  Album Gain was a welcome addition to MC11, but it needs to be user adjustable (as the Replay Gain proposal outlines).  I suggest that the AG calculation be performed upon audio analysis, after which the user can make manual adjustments as they require.
3.  The option to turn off AutoRip.  To me, this is one of the most irritating things I have seen.  I want the ability to rip multiple CDs without MC taking off on its own and potentially ripping a bunch of “unknown – unknown” tracks or accidentally overwriting music files I have already ripped (it gives no warning).
4.  Ability to update the server's database using the client (also asked for many times).
5.  The option to reduce thread priority during audio analysis.  Currently my computer (AMD XP 3200) gets sluggish when I am analyzing files.  Right now, I reduce the priority manually with the task manager, but it would be nice if this was automatic.
6.  Make 'Tools > Options > File Location > Base Path' always be the default for renaming operations.  I would rather change it on the fly for exceptions than have to remember to constantly check it to make sure it is correct.  If I perform a rename and need to change the base path for this one time only, MC defaults to this changed value next time instead of using the "Base Path" defined in options.
7.  Ability to connect directly to MC11’s library database and perform queries.
8.  “File Manager” function.  Suggest:  when dragging files/folders in the My Computer section of the Tree View, MC should update the database for all files affected without having to perform an import/update.  The current method of “Rename Files from Properties” to move files around leaves behind ripping logs, covert art and whatever other files you have associated with your music.  The result is that you end up with a bunch of extraneous folders containing only a few items that should have been moved with the music.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 10:31:36 pm »

In Library Browser, I click the "Albums" link on an Artist tile, and I see a tile for each Album by that Artist. If I click the "Play" link on an Album tile, the songs from that Album are added to Playing Now, and they begin playing. But if I double click the Album tile, all tracks by that artist are added to Playing Now, and the first song on the Album whose tile I double clicked starts playing. Is this by design, or is it a bug?

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Fixer

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 01:03:33 am »

Burned CD's do not have any CD-TEXT.  I do have the CD-TEXT option checked in options.

Fixer

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 01:07:49 am »

Leftover Audio - there is sometimes some leftover audio that plays when I:

Start track playing.
Press Pause
Double Click another track to start playing it.

I'll hear a short burst from the track I paused before the new track plays.

This problem does not exist with v10.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 04:53:18 am »

Bugs:

Imported my whole Home Directory. About 4500 files out of 6000 were imported. No way to see what was imported and what not - no import log created saying what could not be imported!

Files of type *.url (Web-Site links) were definitely not imported. Cannot view any web site from inside MC11. I have plenty of url files stored in project folders and they are left out. Also the Favorites folder does not get imported.

In import dialog box in Add Folder it says (My Music, My Images Folder). This is wrong. It does not reflect the language dependency of those folders. On a German WXP they are named 'Eigene Musik' und 'Eigene Bilder'. The name of those folders should be extracted from the registry.

In Detail View same icon for word, excel, powerpoint file etc. It would nice if every file type would retain its own icon.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 11:07:29 am »

Library Browser..

.ape
.mp3
.wma

MC's Access Filter is a nice way to do this.

Hildy

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 11:38:14 am »

As a Media Center user for a couple of years, I too would like to see full FLAC support.  I know the developers are busy, but this should be a top of the list enhancement.  It will keep me from switching to the dreaded iTunes and .ACC format.

Thanks for all of the good work to date!

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 11:57:39 am »

Library Browser..

.ape
.mp3
.wma

MC's Access Filter is a nice way to do this.

Matt, When I use this it applies it to all views, not just Library Browser.
-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 12:15:30 pm »

Matt, When I use this it applies it to all views, not just Library Browser.

Right.  It's not too hard to switch modes though.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 01:02:07 pm »

While doing some tagging of newly imported files I clicked on "Rename Files from Properties" (my personal favorite  :) )while I also had the analyze audio running in the background. Oddly, I got an error box stating that the 'server' was busy . . .  retry / switch / cancel.

It is odd because these files are local, and as I was unable to sucessfully click 'retry' until the audio analysis was complete.

1- Apparently it was MC which was busy, not a 'server' as I know it. Perhaps this should be rephrased?
2- The 'cancel' button was non-functional forcing me to wait until a retry was sucessful for me to escape.
3- When I clicked 'Switch to" MC crashed.
4- This has occurred several times recently.
5- Either MC or I must cease doing this   ::)
6- I'd much prefer it be MC that corrects it's behavior   ;D
. . . the game is rigged

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 01:53:14 pm »

How do you limit the number of backups produced for MC 11.  Currently it backs up every time (that's ok) and appends a date.  Problem is that it adds another backup and does not delete any of the prior backups.
I would like to keep 2 or 3 and use an automated backup to get it offsite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up