INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming Support  (Read 689 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Streaming Support
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:02:19 pm »

Do you guys ever plan on offering a way to transcode lossless codecs to a lower bitrate codec (like MP3) so that people can stream their library over the internet (some of us don't have T3s :) )?  Currently, the only way I have discovered to do this is to use Slimserver and Flac.  I can instruct Slimserver to transcode to MP3 at whatever bitrate I need and it will stream my library to me wherever I am.

I am positive that Slimserver could do this with APE files, but from my research, a Perl module needs to be written to extract information like length and bitrate from the APE files.  I don't have any knowledge of the Perl language, or of the internals of the APE format, otherwise I would write it.  I did notice that someone from Slim Devices posted a question about this on the Monkey's Audio message board a while back...  Did anything come of that?

If you guys aren't planning on offering a way to transcode realtime, and an APE Perl module is never developed, then I am kind of stuck with using Flac.  The problem is, you have stated that J River will not support Flac.  This stance kind of astounds me since you seem to be interested in supporting a wide array of features, devices and codecs.  Not to mention that many many devices now support flac.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some direction...  If this is something that will be supported in future versions, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Paul

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Streaming Support
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 02:15:32 pm »

I'm no help with Perl, but APE source and SDK is here: http://monkeysaudio.com/developers.html

MC 11 supports FLAC.  There are some issues, and we're hoping Oblong will address them. (we don't have code)

We'd like to add transcoding to Media Server at some point.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

paulr

• nothing more to say...
Re:Streaming Support
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 02:27:22 pm »

Thanks for the reply Matt.

One thing to note:  Oblong made the Flac plugin source code available for download (and it's open source according to his webpage ( http://www.monsterfang.com/MCinFLAC/ ).  One issue I have noticed using this plugin (not sure if this is a problem with the plugin or MC) is that no tags are written to the files...  He states that the plugin supports Vorbis tags - does MC?

Transcoding would be a killer addition in my opinion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up