INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasting  (Read 8166 times)

PeterS

Podcasting
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:32:50 pm »

Do you listen to Podcasts?
Do you Podcast?
Is this something we should consider for MC?

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: Podcasting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 01:02:01 pm »

It would be pretty cool if one can make some live stations to broadcast using MC :)
Tamer

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:38:49 pm »

I like podcasts and plan on producing one for one of my websites.  Coverville (www.coverville.com) is probably one of my favorites.

I have a feeling these are going to be an important form of media for the future....

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:13:05 pm »

A lot of people talk about 'podcasting' but to be honest I don't know what it is...
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

PeterS

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:28:02 pm »

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 02:30:38 pm »

I listen to podcasts all the time.
It would be great if the API were extended/tuned to better support 3rd party podcatching tools.

pank2002

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:39:20 pm »

Peter,
First, thanks for posting the links.
Second, it sounds quite interesting. A joined 'radio and podcast interface' would be great (this include improvements of the current radio interface).

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 02:50:24 pm »

I listen to podcasts all the time and just downloaded the RSS feeder (I was using iPodder before) because it said it integrated with MC, but it's not working all that well.

My favorites: the breakfast show with Pete & Geoff from Virgin Radio, WGBH Boston's Morning Stories, Forum from KQED and Perspectives from KQED (my local station, but well, I have to work at 9am, not listen to a talk show on the radio. . .)

I would LOVE it if MC 12 contained the ability to subscribe to podcasts natively. Now I use one app to subscribe and download and then I import those into MC in order to download them to the iPod. It gets a little messy when I want to delete old ones that I've listened to.

Anyway, it's a fair amount of manual work that would be great if it were automated.

Thanks for asking!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 04:01:05 pm »

I would listen to podcasts if the functionality were integrated into MC.  For now, I've too many other things to do... And I can't spare the time to learn a new multimedia application...

Even without MC, I probably will eventually start.  I believe that this is the future of media (much to the dismay of big-content/big-media).  Especially once people start doing the same thing with video and multimedia presentations, which is probably the next step.

vid-casting anyone?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 04:59:15 pm »

Have to put in a big YES! for podcasts and also Sam2 or Sam3 webcast software support would great.

http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sambroadcaster/

JC

hakthir

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 12:51:52 am »

I just started to listen to podcast and I am hooked. I am currently trying to catch up on all the past episodes of the shows I am subscribed to.

How is everyone managing their podcasts and sync to their portable device?

I first import my new media into the library.

I set up a smart playlist that pulls all the audio from my top level podcast storage directory and sub-directories that have a play count of zero. This way I can listen to the shows I haven't heard before without trying to remember which ones I have listened to alread.

This set up works great untill I sync my ipod(which is where I listen to most of my podcasts). The play count gets updated in MC, but then it doesn't delete the shows I have listened to. I have to sync again to get those shows removed from the ipod.

It's like MC has it's mind made up about what it is going to delete from the ipod before the ipod sends the play count info over. Is there a better way to do this?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 04:02:10 am »

Here's a topic from six months ago:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24395.0.

I'm still using FeedDemon to aggregate and I've started using it to synch as well.  It seems producers of podcasts are getting better at providing consistent metadata so I don't need to modify the tags prior to synching.  Since deploying to Iraq, I no longer listen to music...  it's just podcasts synched once a week.

I'm convinced RSS feeds are a legitimate form of "media" and it would be interesting to see how MC can combine the audio/video (i.e. RSS enclosures) with the written content (i.e. weblogs).  Podcasts would be a good start...  especially if I can get the shownotes (or other non-enclosure data) to go along with the audio.

pank2002

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 06:18:39 am »

Can iPodder and MC be used simultaneously, or will it screw up the iTunesDB? Peter, if you will implant this is MC for how long are we to wait? I'm just considering whether or not it would be beneficial to 'get into' iPodder.
-Rasmus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 06:57:16 am »

Scott,
Take care over there.

Jim

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 05:53:38 pm »

I've been using RSSRadio, which I found from a post from the developer here on the forums, and I'm pretty happy with it.  Automatically imports the files, and adds them to the respective playlist.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 07:18:32 am »

Scott,
Take care over there.

Jim

Thanks, Jim...  I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm currently in Baghdad, with a few scattered trips to Fallujah and Ramadi, but I may be moving out to the Al Anbar province permanently in a few weeks.  If you're interested in looking at a few photos, check out a sand storm in Al Anbar at  http://lifesarchive.no-ip.com:81/cpg132/thumbnails.php?album=12

Scott-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 08:00:54 am »

Wow.  That's crazy!  I work in Bar Harbor, Maine in a Graphics and Multimedia Department at a Lab.  Anyway, I just did a poster to welcome Sgt. James Patterson home (who was on a short leave and visiting his brother who I work with).  It was a collage of pictures type of poster (then and now style) and included those exact same pictures.

Those, and this one:

Now that's terrible.  (Even if they aren't poisonous as I've read).

Definately take care. 
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 06:05:11 am »

Wow.  That's crazy!  I work in Bar Harbor, Maine in a Graphics and Multimedia Department at a Lab.  Anyway, I just did a poster to welcome Sgt. James Patterson home (who was on a short leave and visiting his brother who I work with).  It was a collage of pictures type of poster (then and now style) and included those exact same pictures.

Definately take care. 

Small world, huh?  The photos were taken at a base in the Anbar Province where the Marines work, but I don't know who took them.

Camel spiders...  reminds me of this photo:

Thanks for the kind words.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 08:45:51 am »

Is this something we should consider for MC?

"Yes"

Now What Would J River Do?

A. Allow To Stream From Media Center
B. Allow To Listen From Media Center
C. Both A & B

If Both I Would Change My Answer From "Yes" To, "Very Much So"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 07:29:05 am »

I was catching up on some news and read that iTunes is including podcasts in their next version due out in a few months.   I think they'll also have a directory service for finding feeds as well.  Perhaps this is driving the interest by JRiver, although it's been mentioned on INTERACT as far back as November 2004.

pank2002

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 11:24:53 am »

I haven’t been able to find one podcast that I like so far... It’s not very common in Denmark, I guess. American humor isn’t fun, I have little of no interest in American or British talk shows and the stuff I’ve found with independent/indie music wasn’t worthwhile...

Does anybody know a good indie feed? I’d prefer European music, of course, since the American (rock)-scene has provet itself to suck majorly.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 10:04:15 pm »

Glad to see folks catching up on RSS and podcasts.  This was why I asked about them ages ago.  My partner Jeff and I run syndic8.com so we're more than a little familiar with the concepts.

The trouble with most podcasts is their lack of metadata that's *useful* in an MC11 experience.  Having J.Random Podcaster show up as an "Artist" in MC11 isn't really all that helpful.  Nor are the somewhat random genres.  It feels like podcasts should be treated as something different than audio tracks.  Sort of like how MC11 already allows differentiation between audio, video, images and documents.  Yes, it's possible for a podcast to be music but it's unlikely I'd want most of them to show up mixed in with my other MC11 "music" tracks. 

There are no good tools (yet) for effectively applying or cleaning up the metadata.  Hopefully they'll begin evolving soon.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 10:12:20 pm »

Pod casts are neat but unless there is a unique discovery feature for them I don't knwo of any good ones to try out.  I would rather see the web meida/streams updated first. 
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 03:35:15 am »

The trouble with most podcasts is their lack of metadata that's *useful* in an MC11 experience.  Having J.Random Podcaster show up as an "Artist" in MC11 isn't really all that helpful.  Nor are the somewhat random genres.  It feels like podcasts should be treated as something different than audio tracks.  Sort of like how MC11 already allows differentiation between audio, video, images and documents.  Yes, it's possible for a podcast to be music but it's unlikely I'd want most of them to show up mixed in with my other MC11 "music" tracks. 

There are no good tools (yet) for effectively applying or cleaning up the metadata.  Hopefully they'll begin evolving soon.

Agreed.  The creators of content need to do a better job of using the ID3 tags in a standard way.  To this end, http://www.podcast411.com/id3tags.html and http://radio.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/5/24/882450.html are some attempts address this.  In the meantime, not even those that use some standard do it consistently.  So I'd like the aggregator (MC!) to let me force the metadata for a specific feed.

I'm not sure I agree about podcasts being a unique media type, though.  If it's audio, it's audio - regardless of where you got it our how it was produced.  On the other hand, I've often argued that websites are a unique media type (e.g. blogs) that could be handled in MC.  What do you say, JRiver?  Are you ready to add RSS aggregation in general to MC?

Pod casts are neat but unless there is a unique discovery feature for them I don't knwo of any good ones to try out.  I would rather see the web meida/streams updated first. 

I don't know what you mean by "unique discovery feature", but there are plenty of podcast directories available:  http://www.podcastalley.com/, http://www.ipodder.org/, http://www.podcast.net/, and even wkearney99's http://syndic8.com/.

Does anybody know a good indie feed? I’d prefer European music, of course, since the American (rock)-scene has provet itself to suck majorly.

There still isn't much music being podcast - and I'm sure this is due to licensing issues.  But check out some of the podcast directories listed above and I'm sure you'll find something.

pank2002

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 04:43:03 pm »

Okay, iTunes has added a feature for organizing podcasts and Danish Broadcasting Corporation has begun podcasting some of their shows. What are the plans? Will MC support Podcast at some point, and it is within the near future?

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 08:48:54 pm »

Please add podcast support. More and more cool podcasts are showing up every day. www.podcast.net :)

Big_Dave

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:07 am »

check out this article in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/technology/circuits/28pogue.html?8hpib

"Overnight, iTunes 4.9 has already become the most popular podcast-management software on earth; Apple says that within 48 hours of its release, Pod people had subscribed to more than a million podcasts."

Omni

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 05:25:58 pm »

Please add podcast support.

Since "podcasts" are just MP3 files (don't you just love marketing people?), what exactly distinguishs "podcast support" from MP3 support?

Is it just bookmarking functionality?

lOth

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 03:15:19 am »

what would be different is how these files would be automatically downloaded/deleted/handled in the library. What we (at least I...) would like to be able to do within MC is subscribe to podcasts and set up a few parameters: how often to download, how long before deleting old podcasts, automatically tag the genre to 'podcast' for all new casts, etc.

Bookmarking in addition would be nice, but besides that, you're right, they are just mp3 files and I can already play/transfer them to my iPod with MC. I just wish I didn't have to rely on a third party program (iPodder for me) to manage them.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 03:11:04 pm »

And automatically sync the podcast playlist to whatever handheld you have left plugged in.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 04:01:59 pm »

What a hype. Reminds me to all these bloggers in the past.
Do you really want to listen to them? Something useful?

Listening to: 'Radio Ga Ga' :P from 'The Works' by 'Queen' on Media Center 11

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:15 pm »

I hadn't done anything until iTunes added it.  It's SO easy to use with iTunes, I would love to have MC do something similar to iTunes setup. 

kiwi

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2005, 10:20:29 pm »

What do you say, JRiver?  Are you ready to add RSS aggregation in general to MC?

WinAmp 5.1 Surround Edition was just released...  it includes
* New: SHOUTcast Wire - A Media RSS Browser and Subscription Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up