INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semicolon delimited files are not bad, but...  (Read 1388 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Semicolon delimited files are not bad, but...
« on: September 19, 2004, 03:11:58 am »

A few months ago I recognized the semicolon delimited fields option to be quite useful for tagging. I have to fields named mood and situation I assigned several attributes to.

The problem:

When you use the drop-down in tag info window or in the table view for such a field, I get multiple entries for  each attribute, e.g. I have situations like
- party background,
- party rock and
- relax.

If I assign more than one attribute in the drop-down list I receive the following entries:

- party background
- party background;relax
- party rock;
- party rock;party background
- relax

That makes the drop-down list useless after a while!!!
Even though I can use th view scheme tagging mode I would find it extremely helpful if you either

- could add a checkbox to each drop-down value or
- show only the pure attributes (without considering semicolon delimited fields) in case currently there's no value assigned to that track.

What do you think? Is such an improvement possible???

Dragyn

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Semicolon delimited files are not bad, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:40:32 pm »

I agree. Those drop down menus are not nice at all.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 03:26:47 am »

I raised a question a couple of days ago because I think there's a small "bug" in this way to handle the semicolon delimited file types.

Is there someone who could at least make a statement if there are plans to review this and possibly make changes to this behaviour? (Could be a minor issue from a programming point of view?)

Even if you prefer not to handle it in any way it would be helpful because I would know you listen to your users who really appreciate your product and always try to make it even better...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 08:47:27 am »

This is something we'd like to address with v11.  A checkbox list would be nice, but it's a little tricky.  Are there any other simple solutions that would work more like what's already there?

Thanks Chris.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 10:43:25 am »

I found this long, semicolon delimited strings also quite annoying. The drop-down box is OK, as you can enter just a few syllables to restrict the searched string.

It would be Ok just to skip the multiple,semicolon delimited strings as ChrisRainman suggested.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 06:08:21 am »

Thanks for your answer. Of course, the drop-down list would be best. Maybe simpler but with the same result would be to allow marking multiple entries with CTRL or something similar.

IanG

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:29:26 am »

It would be Ok just to skip the multiple,semicolon delimited strings as ChrisRainman suggested.

I think the semicolon delimited strings would be more useful if they were sorted e.g.  Alf;Charlie;Bert and Charlie;Alf;Bert were both treated as Alf;Bert;Charlie.  I'm not sure if it would help in Chris' situation, but it would make tagging pictures easier.

Ian G.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 07:26:33 am »

A couple of weeks ago I asked for an important tagging feature regarding semicolon delimited files. Matt, you said it would become a feature in version 11. Did you already start to work on it?

I don't want to push on it but 30 days trial period for v11 runs out and I am still not sure to switch to it...

would be great to hear it'll soon be in place...
Pages: [1]   Go Up