INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: support for usb disk mp3 driver  (Read 2357 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
support for usb disk mp3 driver
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:31:32 pm »

I am new to mp3 portables and I am considering to buy a memory based mp3 driver. It looks like a removable driver when you insert it to usb port. How well is this approach supported by MC 10/11?

The player I am considering is the following:
SmartDisk 256MB Rover USB MP3 Player Flash Disk FM Tuner Voice Record

http://www.buy.com/prod/SmartDisk_256MB_Rover_USB_MP3_Player_Flash_Disk_FM_Tuner_Voice_Record/q/loc/440/90131066.html

Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:support for usb disk mp3 driver
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:53:28 am »

Tolga,

Any player that appears as a removable drive to your PC should be compatible with MC 11. MC 11 can handle playlists for your player if it supports m3u playlists. Also, if there is a default directory where playlists need to reside on the player, MC can automatically handle this.

Steve

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:55:41 am »

How about Laptops? Can Laptop locations can be used in the same way?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:07:40 pm »

Tolga,

Can you clarify what it is you are proposing to try?

Steve

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 03:00:25 pm »

I think I got an answer for the USB device; I ordered it and will give you feedback if I have problems.

Here is the second related issue I tried to raise:
My music collection is much larger than i can fit in my laptop. It would be nice to use the laptop just like a handheld device, put some music on it, work at a coffee house.  If MC has nice support for removable drivers (I assume that there is at least an easy way to copy files. And the copy/move dialog is not an option), maybe with little effort, this support can be extended to include arbitrary directories, ie. network directories on a laptop.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:13:09 pm »

Tolga,

So in your example, you have music on your laptop which you listen to at the coffee shop.

maybe with little effort, this support can be extended to include arbitrary directories, ie. network directories on a laptop.

I am not following what you are after here.  Sorry.  

Steve

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 04:49:25 pm »

Steve,

Let me try to rephrase it. With MC 11, you can define a harddisk location to be your portable device. (Plugins dialog). I assume that with very little change in that code, you could allow that network folders (or any folder), to act as a portable device. There are two things you can do with that:

1) You can treat your laptop as a portable mp3 device. You maybe storing a lot of music in your main server computer, when you connect your laptop to your home network, you can easily transfer some files to the laptop, and listen music from the laptop. If your spare laptop space is larger than your music collection, this may not be useful but for many people this may not be the case.

2) You can keep a syncronized backup of your music library somewhere else in your harddisk.

My point is, I think that both of these cool features may be achieved with very little change in MC 11.

IanG

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 02:54:11 am »

I don't know how easy it would be to do change MC to do what you want, but SynchBack is a freeware backup / synchronisation program that would achieve a similar result.  Have a look at http://www.2brightsparks.com

Ian G.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:04:30 pm »

Tolga,

Thanks for the clarification. We will take a look at adding this feature.

Steve

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 06:54:42 pm »

Yes, the beauty of Tolga's idea is that you control what's on the laptop simply by creating a playlist that you snyc to the laptop over the network.  I like this idea, as I used to copy a subset of my home library to my laptop for listening at work.  The playlist would make things easier to manage.

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 12:00:33 pm »

Tolga (and others),

This idea is implemented in the next build of MC. As part of this change, I created an option in Tools->Options->Handheld Options to toggle on and off scanning for remote or fixed drive type devices. This is off by default and when turned on has warnings about synching to a device/drive in this way that should prevent users from accidently deleting stuff they may not want to.

Steve

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 12:13:10 pm »

Cool !!!! thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 12:26:21 pm »

PS, for this to work, you will need to go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives->Configure and enter the name of the drive for which you are sharing music on your laptop.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up