INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 2003 - MC10 Problems?  (Read 2724 times)

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Windows 2003 - MC10 Problems?
« on: October 09, 2004, 09:17:46 pm »

I just set up a new file server with Windows 2003 (vanilla install, no DC, SP1) and installed MC 10.0.155. MC10 is basically the first application to be installed on the file server.

It always crashes out about halfway through importing the library files. I have deselected all codecs but the mp3 import option. I recently ran a huge mp3 quality check and discarded all files with more than 1% frame errors.

I did not have these problems 3 months ago when the same file server ran MC 9.

Is there a compatibility problem with Windows 2003?

Thanks for any insights,

Mike
Irish guy in San Francisco

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Windows 2003 - MC10 Problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 09:37:20 pm »

Please try build 173 from the top of this forum.

It may be a certain file that is causing problems.  MC can import by directory.  Try splitting the imports into smaller batches to find the file.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:32:15 am »

I have tested it under Win2K3 and had no such problems. But there is one other, rather annoying problem: The scroll bars in open file, restore backup and similar open windows dissappear. The only way to see files that are to the left or the right of the one you're using is to select other files. Makes it impossible to select "one from column A, two from column B" and so on.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 04:09:47 pm »

Please try build 173 from the top of this forum.

It may be a certain file that is causing problems.  MC can import by directory.  Try splitting the imports into smaller batches to find the file.

I tried b173. Same problems.

What's most frustrating is that the crash is unpredictable.  It was crashing repeatedly trying to read in a 200GB directory of a around 30000 files. Then one time it worked, for some unexplained reason.

Now I have a new directory. If I add the files manually, one directory at a time, then it seems to work. But if I add the root directory then it crashes out after finding around 100-150 new files. Of course, the crash is so total that it doesn't add these files incrementally to the database so I can't proceed from there.

The library currently numbers just under 64000 files.

Trying to triage the "problem" directories produces no effect. If I remove them from the root directory then it just crashes on a subsequent directory. MC10b173 can also read the "problem" directories individually with no errors, so I believe these are not in fact problematic at all. The problem lies therefore not with any particular file or directory but with MC10's handling of mass imports.

MC10b173 is also crashing out on three different machines running WinXP when trying a mass import, over the network, either using UNC or mapped drives.

My old MC9 when installed had no problem reading in all the files in a single mass import. I'd revert to that except that I notice the pane update speed in MC10 seems to be massively improved.

It's a pity. One reason I always recommended MC over, say, iTunes to people in the past was how it was stable at handling really large collections while iTunes just withers and dies when faced with big libraries.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 04:18:39 pm »

The stability problems you're having are not wide spread, so please see if you can isolate the factors that make a difference.

Eliminate the import over a network, for example.

We're seeing a lot of problems lately with all the new things that people are doing to try to protect their machines from viruses, worms, spam, popups, and spyware.  So simplify your machine if you can.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:16:40 am »

I do feel there is a Import Problem, MC should not crash on a bad file, it should mark it as bad not import it and then report it and why it did not import it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:13 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:54 am »

I do feel there is a Import Problem, MC should not crash on a bad file, it should mark it as bad not import it and then report it and why it did not import it.
Agreed.

Please send us any bad file you can find.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 09:21:20 am »

Agreed.

Please send us any bad file you can find.

I am working on it, i got it narowed down to 39 files, and they did import on earlyer versions of MC
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 09:58:29 am »

well i found the file.

Real Player Reported The File As Bad And Did Not Crash, The Real Player Stated It Could Not Access\Find The File (Even Thou It Was Listed In The Dir)

I Could Not Rename Or Delete The File

Norton Disk Dr Reported No Problems With The Drive

I Moved All Files And Had To Leave That One Behind

I Then Had To Delete The Folder, And That Allowed The File To Be Removed.

Yes A Bad File, But Still Should Not Crash, Sorry I Could Not Save The File For Testing. I Am Thinking That There Was A Bad File Entry In The Dir And MC Tried To Access The File And Crashed.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 05:33:09 pm »

Please see if you can isolate the factors that make a difference.

Eliminate the import over a network, for example.

We're seeing a lot of problems lately with all the new things that people are doing to try to protect their machines from viruses, worms, spam, popups, and spyware.  So simplify your machine if you can.

Please see my original post. I noticed the problem on a vanilla install of MC10 on a new install of 2003SP1 using local import. MC10 was the first non-Windows install performed. The problem manifested both before and after installation of Symantec Antivirus 9.

I only tried to import mp3 files. No other filetypes specified.

Having seen this problem, I tried importing across the network using an old crusty WinXP-SP2 machine. Crashes. Also tried with a new install of WinXP-SP2. The only thing these machines have in common is that they are running antivirus software, in this case SAV 8. MC10 crashes on both.

Is there a way to get MC10 to generate a crash or debug log? Also, the file import window should be resizable to enable easier selection of directories.
--
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up