INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.105 Alpha Available  (Read 8658 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.105 Alpha Available
« on: October 15, 2004, 04:24:14 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  When upgrading from MC 10, you will lose your view schemes.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110105.exe  [see price link above]

Recent Changes

11.0.105 (10/15/04)

1. Changed: New handheld options page would have an extra border around it.
2. Fixed: Some controls like dividers wouldn't draw properly.
3. Fixed: My computer views wouldn't properly appear.
4. NEW: DVD fast forward / rewind rolls through seek speeds -- press play to stop seeking. (like a TiVo, etc.)
5. Changed: Added 16x forward and 16x reverse to DVD playback.

11.0.103 (10/15/04)

1. NEW: Many optimizations to UI layout engine -- making sizing and view switching faster.
2. Fixed: MC better handles MP3 files with invalid Xing headers.
3. Changed: Portable 'Options' is integrated with general 'Options' interface.
4. Changed: Building of large tree structures (Media Library, etc.) is faster.
5. Fixed: Portable track display bug introduced in 11.0.99
6. Fixed: Portable synchronization space available was not updating correctly. Also, selected playlists were not updating in the transfer queue.
7. Fixed: Files not unlocking properly when converting files on the fly to Portable Devices.84.
8. Fixed: Clicking OK on devices options page would crash MC (from rip action window).
9. Fixed: Smartlist changes would not always show up as expected when returning to a view until MC was restarted.
10. Changed: Internal volume control uses a logarithmic scale so half-volume sounds more like half as loud to a human ear.
11. Fixed: Files with # in the name were not streamed by Library Server
12. Changed: Increased the auto-complete combobox item limit from 2048 to 8192. (will show <too many items to list> after that)
13. Fixed: Some actions like dropping files on a playlist or doing a Send To > CD Drive would show an unnecessary menu asking "Move or Copy."
14. NEW: A mapped network drive can be accessed as a portable device if the volume label is entered in Plugin Manager->Portable Devices->Configure
15. Changed: Scanning for fixed and remote drive portables must be enabled in Tools->Options->Handheld Options for MC to scan for these drives.
16. Fixed: Tree would not auto-expand when clicking outside of the item text. (even though the selection would change)
17. NEW: Added .url to the import list for web-page type documents.

11.0.99 (10/12/04)

1. Changed: Portable Device AW. Sync dialogue unified for both 'Select All' and individual playlists. 'Select All' sends all playlists and files. 'Select All' and 'Select None', moved to right click playlist tree options.
2. Fixed: MC 11 would show MC 10 handheld plugins. (MC 10 handheld plugins are no longer supported by MC 11)
3. Fixed: Quick Search (Ctrl+Q) wouldn't always give the search box the keyboard focus.
4. Fixed: If a new CD drive model was installed on a system using the same drive letter as the old one, the CD ripper would not re-calculate the read cache size in secure ripping mode.
5. Fixed: Option to update CD info from cdplayer.ini was missing from right-click menu.
6. Fixed: Portable on the fly conversion advanced options selection worked inconsistently.
7. Changed: Windows 'Server busy' message deactivated throughout MC.   
8. Changed: Playlists will not be sent by default to unrecognized portable devices unless a default path is entered.
9. Changed: Fixed drive portables will support m3u playlist creation at root level if 'Root' is entered as the default playlist path in the 'Configuration' dialogue.
10. Fixed: Library Server Beacon would crash Media Center.
11. Fixed: Library Server/Media Server client would report invalid argument when trying to play.

MC 11 Improvements

• CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
  • Many Theater View enhancements
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Video CD playback support
  • Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

edbro

Re:Media Center 11.0.105 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:27:59 pm »

At today's rate, you could go final by midnight!  ;D

cfgreen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 04:49:58 pm »

I did not even have time to point out the views problem in .103

Thanks so much!
Charles

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 04:53:59 pm »

As always... thanks for a great program!
My only concern, have you ever heard from DFX when they will fix the annoying problem that we cannot bring the DFX window out of the way (yes, I know, I have asked them, but have never heared from them again). I just wonder if you - JRiver - could give them some pressure so they fix this??
Greetings from g'old Germany
- Pietro

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 06:19:21 pm »

I'm missing the cover art that was displayed in the detail view. I know that it was removed, but I liked this function... It would be great if it could come back as an option.

Thanks.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:42:03 pm »

I'm missing the cover art that was displayed in the detail view. I know that it was removed, but I liked this function... It would be great if it could come back as an option.

Thanks.

I was finally getting use to them.  I would like to see them come back as an option too.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 11:30:53 pm »

All these relate to running Theaterview on one monitor (a TV) while not displaying MC on the other monitor...

Problem 1: There is no elegant way to start up MC so that it just displays Theaterview. Running "mjextman.exe /Mode Theater" puts up MC on my PC monitor in addition to Theaterview on my TV.

Problem 2: When I run an external program from the Theaterview menu, the main MC window ceases to be minimized.

Problem 3: Running any mjextman.exe commands unminimize the main MC window.

Problem 4: There appears to be no (obvious) way to clear playing now within Theaterview. Is there even a keyboard shortcut to do this that works in Theaterview?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 01:20:47 am »

Also, another bug:

-- When moving filed between networked drives (and perhaps otherwise) by right dragging files from one location to another in the My Computer tree item in MC, not all files are moved (some are left behind), I have do do moves several times before all of the files get moved.

-- Some (but not all) thumnails are usually (but not always) left in my view of the location the files were moved from.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 02:36:34 am »

hi

I loved the album icons in the detailed view after getting used to it. from the bit i did reading posts here and there i though alot of people also did. i hope  that this feature returns soon as an option.

Zeltak  :'(

Fixer

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 09:57:29 am »

Me too.  It broke up album groupings in huge lists - and showed me which tracks still needed cover art with a glance.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 10:20:28 am »

Yes this feature weas very useful. Why was it taken off ?

BB

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 11:02:14 am »

A general question: Do I need to repost bugs that I put in the older alpha threads, if those bugs weren't addressed yet?

A new issue (new to me, anyway): APE playback is really choking.  I can't even listen to APE files; the playback just slows down by about 50% at random intervals during song playback.

* I'm not using a plugin or anything to change tempo.
* I've tried wave out ad DirectSound, no difference either way.
* I am running a defrag, but my CPU is averaging 25% use.  The problem does not seem to be an over-committed CPU.
* Setting Media Center to high priority makes no difference.
* MP3 files have less of a problem, but it's still there.

This doesn't seem like a bug, but can someone help me with this?  I know that it takes processing power to play high-compressed APE files, but why would playback choke, even though there was CPU to spare?

I'm thinking there needs to be an option to set the thread priority for PlaybackEng.dll.
Signature removed by moderator.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 11:16:50 am »

Once again, the Direct-X Host DSP vanishes without a trace.
An all-points-bulletin has been issued and the city is in panic that the kidnapper may stike once again.   ;D

Also, the 'settings' for encoding mp3's when ripping or converting, are rather ambiguous. Can you tell us how these relate to standard settings such as the --alt-preset's ?
. . . the game is rigged

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 12:31:20 pm »

TV Tuner options doesn't work in the options dialog.
When I click TV Settings... or Reset Devices... nothing hapens.

michel

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 02:04:21 pm »

server (winXP SP1)

client 1 (winXP SP1): ok
client 2 (winXP SP2): ok
client 3 (win2K): an invalid argument was encountered

All systems are using MC11.105 registered.

I tried also to uninstall and reinstall MC without success.

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 05:59:20 pm »

Hi,

*******************BUG*******************************
After I burn my audio CD, I select PRINT.  The print dialog box is behind the MC window.  I need to select QUIT (burning) and then bring forward the PRINT window.  Can this be fixed quickly?

When I move items between Playlist, it ask if it is a MOVE or COPY.  Even if I say MOVE, the original still stay.

*******************REQUEST*****************************
I'm trying to arrange my personal CDs (burned from library) using the PLAYLIST.  Hence I need to ensure each list is less than 80mins.  Can we have an option for MC to know the limit of length of time we want to set for each playlist.  This will definitely help.

Suggestion: Make simple playlist slightly more intelligent to have collection limits or validation- like genre etc.  

JNKH

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 11:43:43 pm »

A general question: Do I need to repost bugs that I put in the older alpha threads, if those bugs weren't addressed yet?

Yes, J River have said we should keep reminding them of bugs, or suggestions until they fix it.

A new issue (new to me, anyway): APE playback is really choking.  I can't even listen to APE files; the playback just slows down by about 50% at random intervals during song playback.

* I'm not using a plugin or anything to change tempo.
* I've tried wave out ad DirectSound, no difference either way.
* I am running a defrag, but my CPU is averaging 25% use.  The problem does not seem to be an over-committed CPU.
* Setting Media Center to high priority makes no difference.
* MP3 files have less of a problem, but it's still there.

This doesn't seem like a bug, but can someone help me with this?  I know that it takes processing power to play high-compressed APE files, but why would playback choke, even though there was CPU to spare?

I'm thinking there needs to be an option to set the thread priority for PlaybackEng.dll.

Try again without defrag running, report if it still chokes.
pretend this is something funny

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 11:50:16 pm »

No, it doesn't choke without a defrag running.  But the bind this puts me in is that I will have to resort to using a different player at times, depending on what I'm doing with my system.  The players that allow for thread priority setting don't have this problem.  (I only mention that to make a point, not to be negative or critical.)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 12:07:47 am »

For me playback doesn't slow down, it hiccups/stutters. But only a few times in an hour. And no, the system isn't under load, I'll be reading or something nothing going on with the system at all.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 12:08:36 am »

Once again, the Direct-X Host DSP vanishes without a trace.
An all-points-bulletin has been issued and the city is in panic that the kidnapper may stike once again.   ;D
Did you look at the seperate thread on this?
It works now for me, but not for others with 2 or more filters enabled.

Omni

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 12:11:57 am »

No, it doesn't choke without a defrag running.  But the bind this puts me in is that I will have to resort to using a different player at times, depending on what I'm doing with my system.  The players that allow for thread priority setting don't have this problem.  (I only mention that to make a point, not to be negative or critical.)

On the flipside, why not go to your defragger's website (Norton?  Executive Software?) and threaten not to use their software until they fix the problem?  Hmmmmmmm?  CPU usage may be irrelevant.  Perhaps they are locking the filesystem while they move things around, and there is a delay in releasing the lock when another process (MC in this case) tries to access a file.  <shrug>

Stupid User

• Recent member
  • Woodchuck hater
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2004, 01:49:33 am »

On the flipside, why not go to your defragger's website (Norton?  Executive Software?) and threaten not to use their software until they fix the problem?  Hmmmmmmm?  CPU usage may be irrelevant.  Perhaps they are locking the filesystem while they move things around, and there is a delay in releasing the lock when another process (MC in this case) tries to access a file.  <shrug>

I believe it is a thread priority issue.  Some other players don't have the problem.  My only goal is to be able to use MC11 exclusively, because I love it.

The defragger is not locking files (if it did, the files would be totally inaccessible); it is using the WinNT defrag APIs.  No modern defraggers modify the file system directly (on NTFS anyway).

Lexi

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 07:51:12 am »

Hi,

if I level down the volume of my MC it doesen't level the wavevolume but the mastervolume of my PC. Every other software running, levels down too.

Don't know if it's only up to my PC, but maybe others have mafe the same experience.

A second Problem is the toggeling between Split View an the normal view. It's a bit to complicted to configure the Split View. The Split View turns off with every restart of MC. It doesn't get saved.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 08:34:02 am »

I did enjoy the small coverart-icons in the playlist view, but I also appreciate the easy-to-spot play-icon. Is it maybe possible to combine those to somehow.

Another issue I've been thinking about (haven't read all the forum topics) is the visualizations, my nice collages since version 10 (or none of the included in vesion 11) works for me...is it me or MC?

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 10:17:54 am »

During CD ripping, if I click on "show List" it shows the tracks "ripping" and "pending" as MC10 does, but the one being ripped does not show the percentage changing as it rips. There is no figure at all.

Is this by design? If so I miss watching the numbers go up to 100% (I have no life).

John

Neville

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 11:42:50 am »

Download manager is crashing after succesfull download.
Code: [Select]
Download Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 11.0.105 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8525B   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B    Addr: 0:2:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Fixer

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 01:14:38 pm »

1.  In place editing (slow double click) is very slow.  When typing in the new value, I can type way faster than it updates my screen.  Doing the same tag change in the tag window feels right

2.  When deleting files the "do you want to remove the empty directory" prompt comes up twice

3.  Does anyone ever read these bug reports?

4.  Does a monkey like bananas? ( ;) -- added by Matt )

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 09:29:04 am »

Hi,

if I level down the volume of my MC it doesen't level the wavevolume but the mastervolume of my PC. Every other software running, levels down too.

Don't know if it's only up to my PC, but maybe others have mafe the same experience.

Switch the volume mode to 'Internal' if you don't want to run the main mixer.  (we run the main mixer because it provides the best S/N possible for most cards since other lines are only digital volumes)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 04:50:49 pm »

Using 'Rename file from properties' MC is capable of creating filename of 'Illegal length' which will subsequently crash MC during handling of those files.

see:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24133

Can MC check file name length and warn before renaming?
. . . the game is rigged

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2004, 10:24:47 pm »

Will the detail view cover arts be making there way back in the future? Pleeeeeesssseeeee!  ;D
Thanks!

Neville

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 12:27:24 am »

In notice this while playing with pictures: When "Rename files from properties" is used on pictures, MC doesn't delete empty folders.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 10:16:30 am »

From Marko:

I use MC to catalogue some infrequently accessed files, wallpaper images, album art sets, christmas songs etc.
I have changed the media library view scheme to exclude all of these files, then setup specific view schemes purely for viewing these files as and when I feel the need to do so.
Could the library browser be made to honour these rules too? Currently, as it's 'catching all', I don't really use it that much, though it does look very promising.

How about using up an Access Filter?

Directory names that begin with a period are having the period stripped away during a rename from properties.
The path is correctly displayed in the 'base path' field, but after the job has done, there's a whole new path created without the period. The library correctly logs the new file location.

I have this path (with the period) in my import routine, and the import side of things appears to be fine with it.

I don't think leading or trailing periods are supported in folder names.  At least they don't work on my XP system.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 11:28:33 am »

Library browser:

View Audio - Sort by Date Imported

Works great in the Files tag, but Artists and Albums do not tie up with that.

I assume that whatever track appears at the top of the Files section should correspond to the 1st Album or Artist in those tabs?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 11:44:08 am »

I don't think leading or trailing periods are supported in folder names.  At least they don't work on my XP system.
It is the same with file names.

Bugs:

1. Import with "Fix or remove broken links" option removes the CUE sheet based tracks from the library. (Bye-bye to tags!)

2. MC is still making error messages when CUE tracks are tagged (if the changed fields have "Store in file tags" option enabled).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 11:55:45 am »

What does 'update library for external changes' mean?  Last import said it was making 1200 changes to files with external changes.  Scared me.  It seems fine, but I'm not sure what it does.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up