INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Has anybody seen the norwegian anti-Bush ad in the Washington Post today?  (Read 3218 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

A norwegian leftist group (you would call them mad communists, we say they're slightly to the left of the Labour party, which is to the left of the Democrats) has paid for a half page ad in the Washington Post, written as an open letter to Bush against the war. It's in the metropolitan section, close to the weather. I have two suggestions:

1. If they really wanted to reach Bush they should have bought an ad on a TV station showing Gunsmoke, Lassie, Bonanaza or Flipper re-runs!

2. Won't this just annoy unsure voters into voting for Bush? "Heck, I don't like him, but no way if I let a bunch of whale killing morons telle me what to vote!" Or what?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It could have a positive effect.  Minnesota is a swing state and we love ludefisk here.

Oof dah.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

That's more than I do! Can't stand the stuff. But sheep's head barbequed with a torch, or smalahove, is another case...that's even more repulsive! But still a very popular pre-christmas dish. Oh yes, I saw a bunch of those expressions in "Fargo". We spell it "uff da".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We don't actually eat ludefisk here.  We just like it.  It works good for washing clothes in a pinch.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

;D

rocketsauce

2. Won't this just annoy unsure voters into voting for Bush?

It almost boggles my mind that anyone is unsure about who they're going to vote for...whether it's Bush or Kerry.

Rob

bob

• Administrator

2. Won't this just annoy unsure voters into voting for Bush?

It almost boggles my mind that anyone is unsure about who they're going to vote for...whether it's Bush or Kerry.

Rob

On a "European scale" there isn't very much difference between Kerry and Bush. They both have the same base agenda, perfect examples are Iraq and Israel/Palestine. They just differ on how to get to the goal.

If you want to see some real differences, look in Germany where the Foreign Minister is a Green from the Red-Green coalition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joschka_Fischer
Fischer was very strident at the UN in reflecting the anti-war opinions of the huge majority of the German people leading up to current war in Iraq.

Next country to the South, Austria where the right wing (to put it very mildly)
Jorg Haider ran the Freedom Party which was the majority party of the 1999 elections leading to sanctions on Austria by several countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%F6rg_Haider
Though the freedom party has since lost some luster Haider has resurfaced as governor of the state of Carinthia.
http://www.adl.org/backgrounders/joerg_haider.asp

This is not an unusual situation in Europe, similar differences exist between the governments of Spain and Italy (and the government of Spain THIS year and the government of Spain LAST year).

The differences between Kerry and Bush are mild in comparison.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!

I wasn't aware that Norwegians voted in US elections.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

GHammer, Yes, they do. Many of norwegian descent in the US still considers themselves as much norwegians as they do americans, and there are a rather large population of americans living in norway. Anyway, if I had a vote it of course would be ABB!  ;)

rocketsauce, isn't it the (as of now) unsure voters that are going to clinch this election?

bob, we've got a similar situation here, the difference between the liberal Venstre and the conservative Høyre, who are ruling the country at the moment, is probably a lot bigger than the difference between even Cheney and Kerry.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team

1. If they really wanted to reach Bush they should have bought an ad on a TV station showing Gunsmoke, Lassie, Bonanaza or Flipper re-runs!

Don't Forget Andy Griffith

PREMIERE DATE: October 1960
NETWORK: CBS

SHOW DESCRIPTION:
Andy Griffith plays Andy Taylor, the widowed sheriff of the small sleepy North Carolina town of Mayberry. Andy and his son Opie (Ron Howard) live with Andy's Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier), who takes care of the family. Andy's deputy is his bumbling but neurotically hilarious cousin Barney Fife (Don Knotts). Most of the series' stories center around the interactions of the characters, as there is little very crime in Mayberry. Subtle philosophical moral tales lead to the success of the show.

BRIEF HISTORY:
Several spin-off series came from "The Andy Griffith Show." Jim Nabors' Gomer Pyle character started there, and Don Knotts -- who played Barney Fife -- had his own variety show called (what else?) "The Don Knotts Show." Other shows, including "Mayberry R.F.D.," "Andy of Mayberry" and "Return to Mayberry," also followed. Opie was played by former child actor/now-famous director Ron Howard ("Happy Days").

STARS:
Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor
Andy Griffith as Andy Taylor
Ron Howard as Opie Taylor
Don Knotts as Barney Fife
Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?

Just read this on my lunchbreak...interesting stuff, especially the 'celeb letters'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1326033,00.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up