INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protest against filter removal!!  (Read 1265 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Protest against filter removal!!
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:55:41 pm »

In MC9.x, there was something called View Filter and Play Filter (not sure about the naming, but you probably understand the functionality). These were excellent when you wanted to filter out for instance all Christmas songs in the summer or really bad songs.

I upgraded to MC11 and couldn't find the functions anymore...they were just gone!

After suggestions from Matt (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23990), I tried to recreate the functionality using Access Control. But this is NOT what I looked for. I didn't want to password protect some files, just an easy way to "grey out" files not useful for the moment...

For you who don't know how it worked, you simply specified a playlist, smartlist or some criterias and applied the filter to it. So simple, so useful!

Please please pretty please! Please consider bringing it back!! I miss it sooo much!!

/Martin

pank2002

Re:Protest against filter removal!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:28:21 pm »

Make a custom field (ie summer, xmas, bad) and create a view with all music files except with something typed in that custom field field field (ie occasion=(unassigned.) You can than create another view scheme  for mastering what music should be shown.

I see no reason to bring it back, when you can do the same thing 'more powerful' with field. Check Larry's iPod notes in the handheld forum -- it's the same principle.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 05:37:31 pm »

Well, your answer can possible be simple, but tagging thousands of files again with another field isn't really my idea of fun. That sounds more like a workaround than a feature.. :(

And, you can't use that like with songs grayed out instead of removed from the list. Example:
You're playing an album. Suddenly you notice that track 5 is skipped..Hey! Why (well the song was rated 1 star)? Was that song really that bad? So you quickly disable the filter and listen to it...and perhaps re-rate it...Just being able to see the whole album is a bonus!

Anyway, that's one workflow you can't reproduce without the filter functions...

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 05:50:35 pm »

I don't really remeber the filter function, but sure, if it's useful for some it should be re-added. At least I see no reason for not doing so when already developed.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Dragyn

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »

view filter is slow. access control is faster at processing.

you don't have to password protect anything.

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 02:23:03 am »

But I still can't SEE the files filtered...Btw, what do you mean by slow? I didn't notice any performance hits...

Pages: [1]   Go Up