INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Scheme Advanced Question  (Read 1048 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
View Scheme Advanced Question
« on: October 14, 2004, 06:37:10 pm »

Hi guys, I was wondering if there was any way to do/implement the following:

Background:(actual question will come later down this post)
Let's say that in my view Scheme the first 2 columns are custom fields called: 1. Main Genres   2. Sub Genres

Sub Genres are delimited with a ";". Which allows me to have more than 1 specific/precise genre per track.
Example: Anita Kelsey - Sway (from Dark City OST): SUb Genres: Soundtrack;Jazz;Soul

Altogether, I should have about 100 or so Sub Genres. Which requires some sort of grouping system to have a have higher level of hierarchy with let's say only 10 Main genres.

Now the problem that comes up is the following: Such a track as the example I gave before would go into several Main Genres. i.e. Other(Soundtrack), Jazz(Jazz) and R&B(Soul)

This way this track would appear under each of those Main Genres, which is where it belongs rather than just under 1 genre.

Of course this could be achieved manually by using ";" separate values for the Main Genres. But, this would mean a lot of redondant tagging work since the info is basically already there in the Sub Genres.

So here goes my question:

QUESTION: Is there a way to do/implement the following?
Have a Main Genres column that would fill it's content automatically based on the subgenres. (Much like a bunch of smartlists)
Example: Predefine the following [Main Genres]=[Sub Genres=1,2,3,...]
So there would be something like this:
[Main Genres=(Other=[Sub Genres=Soundtrack;Audio Books,...],R&B=[Sub Genres=Soul,...],Rock=[Sub Genres=Rock;Punk Rock;Emo;...]...)]
Is this feasable?

Or is there a way to create a plugin that would:
1. scan the Sub Genres
2. create a ";" delimited list of the Main Genres a file should be according to it's Sub Genres
3. save this info to a tag inside the file

Conclusion:
I hope I made this explanation clear enough. Let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

Let's see if someone has a solution.

Thanks,

-Cascius

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re:View Scheme Advanced Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:21:52 am »

Why not just do away with sub-genres and put everything in genres?

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 02:31:16 pm »

Because that's what I had before (if i understand what you suggest correctly) and it didn't work that well. Sometimes I want to listen to all kind of electronica music, so having a Main Genres containing all those subgeneres would be better. And tagging manually almost 20k files with several Main Genres is crazy considering I just did it with subgenres! :D

-Cascius

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 07:00:44 pm »

we've spoken about this before and i wasnt much help but i did remember 1 thing:

the standard preset 'Genre' cannot accept ; delimated tabs, you would need to create a user defined field called 'genre or whatever, which would then understand the semi colons.

pip

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 02:36:55 am »

Yes Pip, and that's fine with me. That's why in the example I called it "Main Genres" :P

-Cas
Pages: [1]   Go Up