INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Advice on Media players for Mac?  (Read 1072 times)

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
OT: Advice on Media players for Mac?
« on: October 19, 2004, 06:19:47 pm »

Hi all,

So my setup is changing. While I still have a Windows box with MC for my home machine, I now have a brand new Mac PowerBook for my work. Now I had been using MC both at home and at work using synchronisation software to update files between both systems and the tags in the files carried sufficient information that it seemed to work really fine!
So I now need to find a solution with my Mac!

Does anyone else use MC on one machine with another machine and synchronise files between them? If so are there any gotchas I should watch out for?

Also, does anyone else know of any Media Center like software for the Mac? - and yes I know about iTunes of course. To my mind it is nowhere as powerful as MC. I'm looking for some database based software that will allow the same sort of browsing views and configurability as MC.

This update has been coming for a while, and leaving MC behind has been the biggest worry of the lot!  :-[

Otherwise the Mac is just amazing of course! :)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:OT: Advice on Media players for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:52:46 pm »

I'm a long-time Mac user who got turned on to MC (actually MJ) when I digitized my entire CD collection. I still use MC to power my music playback (~10,000 tracks).

I have all my music stored in APE/APL format for playback in MC, and use MC to transcode the lossless files into MP3 files for use on my iPod (also synched with MC).

However, you will be out of luck in looking for software as powerful as MC on the Mac. You are primarily stuck with iTunes and the 3rd party Audion. Audion has some nice features, but it's more of a playlist-based player (ala WinAmp).

I use iTunes on my Macs. I just import the same MP3 files I use MC to manage. Because all my music is on a network drive, I don't have terrible storage issues.

In your case, I would try to keep all the files in one place (probably on your PowerBook). Turn on Windows filesharing in your OSX System preferences and you'll be able to mount your PB's harddrive as a shared drive on your windows machine.

One thing I haven't spent a lot of time testing is if tag changes made on my Mac in iTunes are properly reflected in MC.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas...
Brad

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 03:15:47 am »

If you still have some budget for software, you could consider this. I suppose you don't have anything better to do with your new load of PowerPC CPU power.   ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:33:24 am »

If you still have some budget for software, you could consider this. I suppose you don't have anything better to do with your new load of PowerPC CPU power.   ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc
Well I guess that avoids one issue - not sure about others though! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up