Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality  (Read 917 times)

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
Quality
« on: October 30, 2002, 04:41:34 pm »

I use APE, and reading the quality portion of the Encoder setting in the Help File, it says High would be the best especially if playing through high end home stereo equipment.  Well, I plan on doing that, so I tried it on High and was going to compare the size difference in compression and was surprised to find that High compressed slightly more than Normal. I would figure the higher quality would be less compressed not more. This is somewhat confusing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Quality
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 10:19:11 pm »

The Fast, Normal, High and Extra High settings in Monkey's are not quality settings, but refer to how much a file is compressed.  Fast will produce larger files, but compresses very quickly.  Extra High will produce the smallest files, but takes much longer to compress.  Since Monkey's is lossless, all settings are equal in sound quality (ie., equal to the original).

Rob

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 01:15:52 pm »

I thought so, but when I read what you see below that comes from the Help File, I became confused.

QUALITY

This is where you choose the best compromise between sound quality and the amount of disk space the music will consume.

CBR Encoding. You have a list of encoding rates (kbits per second) to choose from. The lower this number, the more music you can fit on the disk but the poorer the sound quality. On the other hand, a higher number gives better sound quality and uses more disk space. The default is 128 kilobits of data per second of music, which works out to roughly one million bytes per minute. This is the number that most people agree maintains CD quality sound while giving an excellent compression ratio. If you will be listening on home stereo equipment rather than your computer, you may prefer the 160 or 192 kilobit settings however.
VBR Encoding. You have five bitrate choices to balance compact size vs. sound quality:

Low. Highest compression. This might be a good choice to fit the maximum number of tracks on a portable MP3 player for example.

Normal/Low. Near CD quality. This would also be a good choice for portable MP3 players.

Normal. CD quality. This may be the best choice for most people especially for listening to music on your computer.

Normal/High. CD quality. This might be a better choice for listening to music on home stereo equipment.

High. Archival quality. This would be a good choice for top quality home stereo equipment.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 01:24:27 pm »

What you referred to is in regards to MP3 quality mainly (somewhat applies to other LOSSY formats - such as Ogg). In addition to what 'sauce said, don't be concerned with the "quality" settings with APE. Leave it set to normal. The difference in file size between any of the settings in very minimal. Encoding speed is what your after....so the Normal or Fast setting is ideal.

Xenno

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 01:56:49 pm »

I'll keep it at normal with digital secure then. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up